Smokeout Nov. 17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

FREE Louboutin heels! How about two free pairs? Ladies, why wait for that day you get that first legitimate paycheck to splurge $3,650 on some well-deserved heels to complete your power outfit? You’re spending the money already. Seriously, all you have to do is give up your annual $3,650 addiction. All you have to do is give up smoking. This deal is a deal of a lifetime.

This Thursday, November 17, marks the American Cancer Association’s 36th Great American Smokeout. Established nationwide in November 1977, this event strives to educate and inform the public about the dangers of tobacco use and the challenge of quitting. The event was first developed in 1971 in Randolph, Massachusetts by Arthur P. Mullaney, who asked people to give up smoking for one day and donate the money they would have otherwise used for cigarettes to a high school scholarship fund. This successful initiative has caught on and become a national campaign urging smokers to accept the challenge of quitting for one day.

Not only does this campaign spotlight the hazards of tobacco, but is also now the driving force behind the Cultural Revolution in tobacco control. Its main goals are to revolutionize the age-old acceptance of smoking as a cultural norm. “[We want to] position it how it actually is—a killer of nearly half a million Americans per year,” says Dileep G. Bal, MD, MS, MPH, national president of the American Cancer Society.

And how are they campaigning to educate and redirect a new generation of smokers? The exact same way the cigarettes got their loyal customers hooked in the peak years of the mid 1960s: advertising. In 1965, 1 in 2.39 adults smoked, and for those of you who watch AMC’s Mad Men, you know just how much cigarettes took over TV, magazine and newspaper ads and even on baseball cards. They used the finest of advertising skills to explode an enterprise and establish a smoking culture. We all know the story of how the heartthrobs of the past (i.e. Marilyn Monroe, Twiggy) transformed smoking into an appealing display of sensuality, but it is interesting to juxtapose the current campaign strategies to those of a previous era. In an attempt to combat the glamour established around this deadly habit, contemporary ads have resorted to the power of the scare tactic.

The only way to rid the image of sexy Marilyn Monroe taking a puff while reclining on a sofa is to assault the mind with a cancer ridden woman taking a drag through a hole carved through her trachea. I applaud the American Cancer Society’s recognition of a generation that looks up to popular culture and their social icons while worrying about the transience of age, beauty and money. In a sense, antismoking ads must be the craftiest out there.

November 17, 2011. This is the date to make plans to quit, store your pack of cigarettes in the drawer, or even quit cold turkey. Tobacco is the single largest preventable cause of death and premature death in the US. Yet, more than 46 million Americans still smoke. Quitting is difficult, but your success is directly proportional to the amount of help you are willing to receive. You can contact the American Cancer Society at 1-800-227-2345 for support and more information. Let’s help create a world with less cancer and more birthdays. 
Haruka Aoki and Luisa Robledo instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.