This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

This past weekend, my friends and I did the unthinkable: we got up early and dragged ourselves to a spin class on a Saturday morning. Just before COVID-19 sent us home in the spring of 2020, Rev’d opened its doors to Providence. Located directly above Berks’ Shoes at 272 Thayer Street, this cycling studio brings a high-energy workout class to College Hill. I personally love spin classes and find them to be a great way to get in a good workout while also listening to a fun playlist. During the pandemic, I was hesitant to sign up for indoor workout classes since many resources listed them as “super spreader” locations. However, now that cases have gone down and I’m vaccinated, I felt safe and excited to try this new spot. Here’s what I thought!

All class sign-ups take place on the Rev’d website (linked below). As I was about to purchase a class, the platform applied a discount to my cart, decreasing the price of my first time buy from $24 to $10 – a great deal, based on prices at other studios. There is also an option to purchase shoes and a water bottle which are then distributed on the day of the class. The bikes at Rev’d require clip-in shoes, so unless you have spin shoes of your own, there is a mandatory $3 rental each time you go. After you check out, the schedule for the Providence location is displayed. Rev’d offers 5 classes every day during the week and 3 on the weekends. My friends and I opted for the Saturday, 10:30am class, assuming many of us would be tired from the Friday night before. If you’re feeling up to it, head to the 8am!

We arrived at Rev’d about 10 minutes early. Once we got there, we were greeted by a friendly staff, clean facility, and our shoe rentals in the locker room. The spin room is relatively large, boasting about 30 bikes. However, the class we attended was not crowded, so there were only about 3 other people riding with us. This was a blessing in disguise, saving many of us from embarrassment. The class was only 45 minutes in length, but made up for it in intensity. Once the instructor clipped into the bike, we were off with flashing lights and pumping music. The class combined a series of sprints, hill climbs, and interval training with light core work. Additionally, he included a short arm circuit followed by a lengthy round of stretching. Trust me, 2 pound weights will never feel heavier. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the class, the instructor, and the overall vibe of the place. This is a great alternative to the Nelson (and you don’t need to wear a mask to ride). Also, Brown students can spin for just $10 a class, everytime. I would highly recommend bringing some friends, embracing the music, and preparing to get very sweaty. Visiting Rev’d is a great way to combine a social event with a good workout. It’s beginner friendly, instructor-guided, and very empowering. Give it a try!

Maddie is a junior at Brown from Connecticut. She is concentrating in Economics.