Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Overcoming the Sophomore Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

You can try to run from it, but unfortunately the “Sophomore Slump” is something that will most likely find you. We know that sounds like possibly the most depressing sentiment that can come from a college student because we only have four years here, all four in which we want to have fun.

But, if you experienced this your sophomore fall, you’re not alone. Your second year has a lot of perks as your friendships become more genuine and you have the lay of the land. However, there is a bit of a darker cloud in the sky for many students. Usually, it goes unnoticed until later, in retrospect. School is harder, parties are less exciting/ new, and no one acknowledges it.

On a positive note, we do have some tips that might help you (and us) overcome this.

Managing harder classes 

The most overwhelming part of Sophomore year is being slammed with work. Freshmen year is pretty stress free as you explore different areas of study. It isn’t until Sophomore year that most people have to really start thinking about declaring their concentration, fitting in loads of concentration requirements, and spending inhumane amounts of time in the library. I have even heard fellow sophomores say, “wow, I didn’t realize Brown was actually really hard until now.”

However, there are ways to combat this feeling (besides just generally having your life together). Towards the end of shopping period, make a calendar with assignments and exams. Write down when you need to start studying for certain things. Don’t push yourself too far on weekends when you know it will make your upcoming week a living hell. Note: this doesn’t mean I’m not all for “Brown State,” but four nights in a row of being out until 4am is only fun to a point. Lastly, don’t be too hard on yourself. Spread out hard classes in your concentration. Take something pass fail if you don’t think you can handle it. You only do college once and your mental health is far more important than another good grade on your transcript.

Wholesome activities with friends

Sometimes, you need to focus on the pros rather than the cons. One of the positive aspects of Sophomore year is friends, which are a little more rocky freshman year. So, take the time to have wholesome fun with them. Go apple picking. Go to the beach. Go out to dinner. See a movie. Whatever it is, it will go a long way in turning your Sophomore Slump around. At the end of the day, just partying and studying isn’t a very sustainable or enjoyable lifestyle, as many college students find out.

Be open about it

You can start to feel really isolated and trapped within your own mental space when you keep negative feelings to yourself. Friends are the perfect people to reach out to about the Sophomore Slump because, more often than not, it’s a communal issue. You’ll find that you’re not the only one that feels like they’re drowning in homework, projects, and all the other draining minutiae that often come with being a college student. Being open with your friends about being unhappy is the first step in finding a solution.

Mobilize

The desire to stay in and grind out some work or just be able to go to bed early is all too real by your sophomore year. At this point, the novelty of college parties has kind of worn off, and it’s easy to opt for your bed over a sticky frat house floor. I have found that line of thinking to be particularly lethal, however. This is the only argument I need in order to convince you to seize the day and go to that bar or party that you’ve dismissed because you’re too tired; some of the best days of your life haven’t happened yet. I’m not saying you’ll peak at some Alpha Beta Whatever frat house, in fact, I hope you don’t, but don’t dismiss immature fun on the account of getting a few more hours of studying in. You have your entire life to do work, but only four years of countless opportunities for fun. Don’t waste it. And if you get your friends behind you, you’ll be unstoppable in your quest for fun.

Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.