Not so Sappy… Inspiration for Men in the 21st Century!!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In continuing with this week’s theme of inspiration I have taken the time to look info some of the most inspirational quotes provided to us by male leaders. They are the voice of many generations and although they may be directed toward men at times they can help to inspire women as well. In addition, they provide a lot of wisdom that transcends generations.

“Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.” —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Guys remember that you make the decisions in your life. If you are ever uncomfortable or not okay with a situation you are in then change it. You are in college so you have time to change your mind. Even after you finish college, know that you can change your mind. Do not limit yourself and think outside the box.

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”—Jimi Hendrix

Know that you can always say what you know but experience teaches you more than school can sometimes. It is essential to not only be book smart but life smart. Wisdom gives you the opportunity to pass on to those after you whether it is your children, younger siblings or mentees.

“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.” —Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama was in Providence recently and he re-emphasized this in his lecture to our class. Be happy, for you and others. Simple as that! It may not be easy all the time in between classes, exams and extra curricular activities but a little happiness makes your day go a little better. Happiness is not only an emotion but a state of being. I find that sometimes being happy makes the day seem a little better and thus I have a greater outlook on life. In addition, make sure you are happy with what you do collegiates and do not regret any part of your life. Enjoy!