Wellness

Navigating Pandemic Extracurriculars as a First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Even before the onset of COVID-19, when I considered the prospect of me at college, I would always worry about how to get involved once I arrived on campus. Now that we are in the midst of a pandemic, this has proven more stressful than ever as first years must grapple with online activities fairs, information sessions, and club meetings. While I was never sure of what to expect transitioning into college, I certainly didn’t anticipate that I would have to manage the difficulties of having everything done virtually. 

Brown’s Activities Fair, which normally takes place on the Main Green, was conducted entirely online this year, in the form of a long spreadsheet that listed the name, description, and website of each organization, along with a Zoom link to join their info session. I actually really enjoyed this format as it alleviated a lot of the stress that comes with having to wander through large crowds to find the booths that interested me. I found it really efficient and easy to navigate, as I could join a group’s Zoom meeting for a few minutes, ask some questions, and then move onto the next club. The process for joining a club at Brown differs from group to group, from having to submit your email address, fill out an application, or even audition. There are varying levels of selectivity, and plenty of clubs for students to find their interests and get involved in the campus community. 

For many years I have been set on joining the Mock Trial team at whatever university I decided to attend, and Brown was no exception. After thoroughly stalking the team’s social media pages, I discovered that in order to join we would have to go through virtual auditions that included giving a memorized speech, engaging in debate, being interviewed, and answering questions as a witness. I was intimidated to say the least. 

After weeks of preparing, crafting my best “Legally Blonde” speech, and picking out the perfect outfit, I completed my audition in September and was welcomed onto the team in October‐ three months before I came to campus. The audition process was very similar to any kind of virtual interview experience, and I personally felt very comfortable. Doing my audition online allowed me to ignore the audience and focus myself by looking forward at the camera. 

Participating in Mock Trial while remote has definitely been a learning curve, but overall I’ve really enjoyed it as it has allowed me to meet members of the Brown community and therefore stay engaged as a remote student. While my Mock Trial experience at Brown has been different from high school since it is virtual, it has nevertheless been extremely rewarding. I would encourage any first years hesitant about joining a club in this environment to give it a try, because although it may be a bit different, meeting new people and forging connections as a first year student is extremely valuable. 

A friend of mine chose to join Camp Kesem, a volunteer organization that raises money for and runs a summer camp for children whose families have been affected by cancer. She was able to join various fundraising and event planning teams for the club without having to fill out an application, (though there is an application process to become a counselor). Even though everything is virtual, she was still able to meet all of the counselors and see the efforts they’ve made to keep the club moving forward and to raise enthusiasm for Camp Kesem and the organization.

Overall, joining and participating in clubs as a first year during the pandemic has been relatively traditional: going to the activities fair, joining listservs, signing up for way more clubs than you can devote time to, and getting endless emails from clubs you don’t even participate in. There’s no need to be scared by the digital format‐ it was easy to acclimate, and getting to meet new people is definitely worth it!

Lauren is a first year student from Providence, RI interested in creating her own concentration which would combine neuroscience, psychology, public health, and law. She loves fashion, true crime, Sherlock Holmes, and being on the Mock Trial team.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.