Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures
Life > Experiences

My 6 Tips to Successful Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

At Brown, sorority recruitment takes place during the second semester for a whole weekend at the beginning of the semester. This weekend, PNMs (or potential new members) get to meet and talk with women in each National Panhellenic sorority at Brown and (hopefully!) get a bid to join one. The National Panhellenic sororities at Brown are Alpha Chi Omega (AXO), Delta Gamma (DG), Kappa Alpha Theta (Theta), and Kappa Delta (KD).

As someone who went through recruitment last year and ended up accepting a bid, I can genuinely say that recruitment (or rush) and ultimately joining a sorority is one of the best decisions I have made at Brown. I met so many amazing women in my pledge class and, through recruitment, developed close relationships with the older women in my sorority and leveraged leadership opportunities through my sorority. I could not recommend going through the recruitment process more, so here are my top tips for sorority recruitment at Brown: 

Keep an Open Mind

Because recruitment for first-year students takes place during the second semester, you may have already developed an opinion on the sororities before recruitment begins. During recruitment, do your best to put the sorority stereotypes or preconceived notions aside! You never know who you will click with best, and don’t let other people’s opinions get in the way of finding your family.

Avoid the 5 Bs

The five Bs of recruitment are boys, booze, bucks, ballots, and beliefs. Don’t bring up boys, partying, political or religious beliefs, or money during recruitment. If you accidentally bring up one of these topics during recruitment, it won’t be the end of the world, but try to focus on your interests and interests in joining Greek Life. Joining a sorority is about making lifelong friendships and connections, so focus on finding a group of women that feels like a fit for you! 

Be personable and engaged

My best advice for conversation etiquette is to act confident, personable, and engaged. I know this can be a struggle because you’re talking to many people and want to put your best foot forward in all your conversations. Do your best to be friendly, ask lots of questions, and look out for the sorority where you feel most at home. 

Ask and prepare lots of questions

If there is ever a lull in the conversation, you should prepare some questions to ask the sister you are talking to. Here are some sample ideas:

1. Why did you decide to join the “X” sorority?
  2. What is your favorite philanthropy or sisterhood event? 
  3. What is your favorite part about being in the “X” sorority? 
trust your gut

My best advice for recruitment is to trust your gut and feelings when you visit each sorority. Get a feel for where you feel most comfortable and where the conversations feel most natural. It may not be easy, but if you follow your gut and think about where you feel most at home, you’re setting yourself up for success. 

have fun

Recruitment is all about meeting new people and learning about different sororities! While it can feel daunting, do your best to enjoy the experience and have fun! Trust that everything will work out, and you will end up in a sorority that feels like home! 

I am a member of the Brown Class of 2026, and I am planning to concentrate in history and economics. In my free time, I enjoy reading historical fiction novels, baking chocolate chip cookies, and trying new restaurants and cafes in Providence.