It’s Like Tiffany

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Romance… we all want it and we all dream of it. Chick flicks? Let’s face it, as cheesy and unrealistic as men think they are, we still believe in them. Question is, why do we?

Needless to say, last week I was walking down the avenues of Manhattan enjoying the morning’s fresh air, when I unexpectedly bumped into a Tiffany & Co. window shop. Naturally, I had to stop and stare. Immediately, one thought streamed through my head:  “Audrey Hepburn,” Hollywood’s biggest fashion icon. The taxis passing by, the city hustle, Tiffany’s baby blue keys, and the cappuccino I was holding in my hand… this scene was all too familiar. There is simply nothing like a Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Of all the love stories ever written, none has made me believe more in the possibility of a true romance than that classic Audrey film. In the movie, Holly Golightly, dressed in her most sophisticated black dress, escapes her hillbilly past and fools herself into believing in a fantasy world of high class and cosmopolitan society. A divorced woman with no prospects other than marrying the wealthiest man she can find, Holly rejects the love of her life, young writer ‘Fred’ Varjak.

It is not until the very end of the movie that Holly realizes that she had the man of her dreams at the tip of her fingers; her own fears and insecurities had forced her to run away from affection. As Fred passionately claims, “You’re afraid to stick out your chin and say, okay, life’s a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that’s the only chance anybody’s got for real happiness… because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.” This classic movie quote says it all. Love is always at our reach, but we can’t run away from it or replace it with shallow happiness. Two people going crazy for each other is no fairy tale unless you claim it to be.

I still haven’t found that one guy that will light up stars in my life, but then again, I’m only twenty years old and oh, more than ready to mingle. No rush. Fantasies can become real

, even if it’s coming from a friend, or even more unexpectedly, as in Holly’s case, your upstairs neighbor. Bottom line is, special gifts can come from unexpected places and in unexpected circumstances (even during the joy of final exams period). My advice to you is, to always embrace a new friendship and accept what it has to offer, because you never know what kind of surprises lie ahead.

“I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles,” Hepburn used to say. And I also believe in pink but no offense to our Audrey, love stories are no miracles. They happen every day to couples all around the world. We just don’t realize it.

Think about your last relationship, or that guy who stole your heart for the first time. They made you feel like superwoman. Yes, love brings great disappointments and tears, and it’s usually when you’re about to give up on finding that special someone that you finally find your very own Fred. Like Holly’s Moon River song, men are “dream makers” and “heartbreakers.”  Love comes around to those who wait, and when you least expect it, romance strikes you as quick as Cupid’s arrow. As Holly Golightly learned, you can’t force love to happen. You have to let it happen. We enjoy chick flicks because we expect to find true love hidden somewhere inside a Tiffany’s box. So, if you’re still worried you’ll never find that love adventure you’ve always been waiting for, don’t worry. As Audrey wisely said, “Paris is always a good idea.”

Haruka Aoki and Luisa Robledo instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.