halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

is ‘smile’ a good halloween movie?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With the end of October comes the start of the spookiest weekend of the year – Halloween weekend. Whether you are a fan of tricks or treats, something can be gained from this spooky season! One of the most popular traditions associated with this holiday is watching scary movies that will get you in spirit. 

One of the scariest movies to have been released this year is the psychological thriller Smile, directed by Parker Finn. With high expectations from the horrendous posters at the mall and the frightening jump scares found in the trailer, the movie is perfect for spectators who enjoy unexpected scares. 

If you enjoy supernatural movies that follow a traditional storyline, though, Smile is not the ideal movie for you. With no clear explanation of how the curse portrayed in the film originated, the audience is left confused about how the protagonist can outrun it. The confusion follows the plot throughout the movie as there is no logical explanation for how to fight against the demon. The abrupt ending also leaves everyone with unanswered questions.

The reason may be that the movie is inspired by a short film by Parker Finn, leaving no room for plot development. Another explanation could be that the horror element stems from the lack of reason. Whatever the answer, Smile dichotomizes the audience concerning the degree to which they enjoy scares.

As the holiday has now come to an end, fans of scary movies continue their pursuit of the best horror movie. Even though the elements that constitute a successful frightening movie are highly subjective, the hunt with friends for the best thriller continues. 

Until next time my friends!

Athina is a junior from Greece studying Business Economics and Behavioral Decision Sciences. In her free time, she enjoys going to the gym and spending time with friends!