Life > Experiences

how to have a “that girl” november

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Happy November!

I consider the first of the month the official journée on which the holiday season commences, so there is much to celebrate and anticipate in the coming weeks.

This festive season invites a revival of self-care practice as the weather chills and finals loom! While the “That Girl” trend is certainly replete with unattainable perfectionist elements, many positive takeaways, and personal improvements can be gained by pursuing a “That Girl” experience. 

Here is your ultimate guide to embracing new habits for a “That Girl” November: 

• Go to sleep before midnight on weeknights

As the evenings become dimmer and dimmer at earlier hours, it is natural to allow your body to rest before midnight, which will also enable you to receive an adequate amount of sleep from implementing an early morning routine

• Create a morning routine & pencil it in a journal

A morning routine can be as flexible or pre-planned as you desire. I enjoy planning my outfit the night before and reviewing my itinerary for the next day. Each morning, I take vitamins, drink water, wash my face, and make my bed, propelling me into a productive mindset for the rest of the day. 

• Drink water alongside your morning cup of coffee

I love a morning latte during the holiday season, yet it is also important to balance caffeine intake with hydration. Water is one of the most effective ways to combat illness and maintain your health during seasonal changes that disrupt your body’s natural rhythms. 

• Enjoy one meal a day with seasonal produce 

November’s freshest produce includes pomegranates, cranberries, brussel sprouts, pears, apples, sweet potatoes, and root vegetables such as parsnips, turnips, and beets. Use these seasonal favorites to inspire creativity in the kitchen and make new recipes into which they are incorporated. 

• Write a letter to a family member each week

The art of a handwritten note is so special. The experience of writing an intentional letter to someone you care about offers benefits for both you and the recipient. A “That Girl” adores writing letters on seasonally-inspired stationery, and it is so exciting for the recipient to have a heartwarming mail delivery. 

• Workout before noon twice a week

Starting your morning with exercise and movement launches your day by igniting positive endorphins within your body. Few activities are as physically and mentally productive as going to the gym, doing an at-home exercise, walking, or running outdoors. Suppose you choose to exercise in the morning. In that case, you are assured of having accomplished at least one productive activity for the day! 

• Create & finalize your holiday gift-giving plan

‘Tis the season to remind your loved ones of your care for them. Whether exchanging gifts or experiences, “That Girl” will establish a plan far in advance to maximize the holiday season with friends and family alike. 

• Prepare an element of your Thanksgiving meal

Lend a hand in the kitchen this November and prepare a delicious dish for Thanksgiving. This could include a charcuterie board, side vegetables, roast potatoes, stuffing, or a tasty dessert. 

• Read two books: one for enjoyment & one for personal growth or learning

Reading, especially before going to sleep, offers the benefits of relaxation and intellectual stimulation. This November, select one pleasured-filled novel and one more philosophical text to read!

• Host or attend a holiday party with close friends

The holiday season is designed for celebration! “That Girl” will either host or attend a Friendsgiving or holiday event filled with treats, a festive meal, and perhaps games or gifts. This party may also include partaking in communal festive activities.

Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.