How much do you love me? Selling Valentine’s Day to the Nation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner it is time again to walk past aisles full of chocolates in heart-shaped boxes, cards printed with red and pink frills, and heart candies stamped with food-coloring messages for hypothetical sweethearts.  But what does Valentine’s Day mean?  According to Hallmark research, upwards of 140 million cards are bought each year for this holiday, making it the “second-most popular greeting-card-giving” holiday.  Personally, I often spend my Valentine’s with other single ladies eating as much chocolate as possible, an activity particularly excusable on February 14th; although I might argue it is allowed any other time of year.  Does giving a loved one a card really express love, and why has Valentine’s Day become a hoard of consumerism?

In his Valentine’s Day article in “The New York Times”, Stuart Elliott claims that it seems as though each year “more marketers are seeking to capitalize on consumer interest in Valentine’s Day.”  He even mentions watching store managers stocking shelves with Valentine-themed goods immediately after Christmas in an attempt to pressure people to buy gifts for their loved ones.  San Antonio, Texas has launched a $250,000 campaign to advertise their city as the perfect romantic Valentine destination.  Additionally, we have all seen website articles focusing on the best presents, tastiest chocolates and ideal date destinations.  But do any of these articles mention that Valentines is meant to help you honor a loved one?  For many other holidays, it seems as though just seeing friends, family and special ones is enough, so why does Valentine’s Day have to be about phony, impersonal cards?

In my search for all things Valentine I found that the holiday’s origination is somewhat mysterious, but it is thought that after the Roman Emperor Claudius II outlawed marriage for younger men, claiming that this would make them better soldiers, Valentine continued to marry young men and women without Claudius’ knowledge.  In another version of the story, Valentine is arrested for aiding Christians in escaping Roman prisons and while in jail sends his lover a letter, designated the first ever valentine.  No matter which tale of origination we choose, love is represented as something worth fighting for even under difficult circumstances.  To me, it seems that this element of Valentine’s Day is lost in our obsession over buying the right chocolates or writing the nicest card.  This Valentine’s Day, I know I will celebrate my loved ones by showing how much I care for them, with or without the chocolate and cards.  Okay, maybe I won’t get rid of the chocolate.

Current Affairs staff writer for Her Campus Brown!