Life > Experiences

Hot Girls Stay Warm: How I Bundle Up As A Brown University Student Living Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

The chilly autumn mornings are upon us! When I open the weather app in the mornings, I let out a little gasp and zip my jacket right below my chin. Sometimes, your room needs to be a little cozier to keep you sheltered from the cold. Our dorms need sprucing up every once in a while. My Machado dorm last year was crying for a change, as is my current off-campus room. Here are my tips to help transform your space into your warm, cozy wonderland. 

• Hanging fairy lights

I love fairy lights as much as the next person. They add an extra flair to your room, even more so when the lights are off. It sets the mellow tones we need to welcome the winter breeze (and the imminent finals season). The fairy hanging lights come in all shapes and sizes. I am currently sporting lights in the form of flowers, and it adds the perfect touch to my room. Playing with the luminosity of the light emitted, whether really bright or a softer beige, plays a role in setting the vibe. But experimenting with colorful lights could bring out your inner you! There is nothing greater than that! Some days you might feel pinker and others a more forest green; Whatever the mood, these lights have covered you. 

• Adding more pictures, posters, and everything in between

As soon as the weather drops, I walk through memory lane and scroll through my camera roll. I will focus on one picture from my summer adventures and let it transport me to warmer days on the beach. Those pictures that pack a punch deserve to be showcased. You can decorate your space with friends and family from back home or highlight the friendships you’ve formed this semester. Maybe you’ve read a great poem that you can’t forget. Perhaps you’ve stumbled on a painting that left you speechless. Use your available wall space to display the things that make you happy. Trust me, you’ll feel a lot warmer when you pass by a wall of the people and things you love

• Blankets, blankets, and more blankets

There’s nothing a soft, cozy blanket can’t fix. It’s like being bundled in a tight hug, warming me up from my nose to my toes. They come in different colors, prints, and thicknesses, and I always want to buy new blankets. The beauty of these blankets is that you can drape them from your chair. I also suggest the investment of a weighted blanket. I brought mine over from NYC to Providence and have yet to regret it. It keeps you snug in bed, lessening the tossing and turning before you fall asleep. With all of these blankets, it will be hard to pull yourself out of bed in the morning. This means you’ve achieved maximum coziness. Feel free to share the blanket love with your roommate. 

• [Flameless] Candles 

For those girlies who have moved off-campus, I recommend getting a candle. It fills your space with a lovely scent, allowing you to study with a smile or finish that book on your reading list. Your favorite scented candle can transport your nose to a nice vacation. I haven’t forgotten about those of you in a dorm. To prevent any issues down the line, I would suggest the purchase of solar-powered candles. They are flameless and have long battery life when charged by solar rays. You can bring a little piece of the outside world home to your dorm. Regardless of the setting, candles help set the cozy and chic vibes we want. 

To finish off our tips for a homey dorm, remember that it’s all about creating a space that reflects your personality. Nothing is warmer and cozier than what you bring to the table. So take a sip of some hot chocolate or grab your favorite holiday beverage at Starbucks and happy decorating! Us hot girls, we stay warm as the temperatures drop. 

Samantha is a junior from New York City studying Neurobiology. Apart from her work in lab, she enjoys reading, petting the neighborhood dogs, and drinking matcha lattes.