This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Now that December is upon us, it means one thing: time for holiday songs! Even when the stress of finals can weigh you down, there is nothing that can’t be fixed with some fun, festive music to remind you of the light at the end of the tunnel. This season, the usual Christmas parties will be cancelled due to COVID-19, so it is important to find other ways to embrace the holiday spirit. Check out our Spotify playlist that includes all the best Christmas music for everyday listening or socially-distant holiday celebrations. Follow this link for access! Here are some of the songs we will have on repeat all month long.

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. This could be the holy grail of Christmas songs. While this tune is not necessarily a “traditional” choice like a Frank Sinatra carol would be, hearing the initial notes of this song is, at this point, synonymous with Christmas time. Once the chorus hits, it’s virtually impossible to prevent yourself from singing. While it’s likely you’ll hear this on the radio or in stores around the holidays, it truly never gets old or loses its ability to put you in a festive mood. 

2. Holly Jolly Christmas by Michael Buble. At this point, Michael Buble has cemented himself in the hall of fame for Christmas music. His smooth voice (and slight Canadian accent) gets to us every single time. For fans of his rendition of Holly Jolly Christmas, Buble has over 20 holiday songs compiled on a complete album. Even though sometimes artists mess with tradition when covering famous songs, Buble’s holiday album takes old favorites and makes them modern. Dare we say, some sound better than the originals?

3. Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms. At this point, I can’t listen to Jingle Bell Rock without thinking of the iconic scene from Mean Girls. However, that memory only makes me love this Christmas classic even more. The opening bars, combined with the actual sound of jingle bells, will make everyone in the room want to dance or sing along. This upbeat tune will surely be stuck in your head throughout the entire month of December, but in the best, least-annoying way possible.

4. Run Rudolph Run by Chuck Berry. This song will instantly put you in a festive mood. The upbeat rhythm and playful lyrics of this classic will motivate you to go wrap those last few presents and bake an extra batch of holiday cookies for your friends and family. Plus, your foot will be tapping along to the beat the entire time!

5. White Christmas by Frank Sinatra. Frank Sinatra’s voice in this song is just pure magic. The calming melody of White Christmas will surely put a smile on your face. There really is nothing like the joy of snow on Christmas. This song truly embodies the enchanted feeling of waking up to a beautiful snowfall on Christmas morning. 

Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley. This carol is one of the more somber ones on our playlist. Presley laments about being separated from his loved one during the holidays. He tells a story that many relate to in such a beautiful and poetic way; we had to include it!

Beatrice is a first-year, planning to concentrate in political science.
Maddie is a junior at Brown from Connecticut. She is concentrating in Economics.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.