This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

This week, a new pope was chosen in an uncharacteristically short conclave following the recent resignation of Pope Benedict.  Pope Francis, formerly Jorge Mario Bergoglio, is both the first Jesuit pope and the first from Argentina and the Americas in general.  Pope Francis introduced himself to the public this week with a short, conversational speech, contrasting himself to the bookish and serious Pope Benedict.  Many have already praised his frugality—Jesuits take a vow of poverty.  The Pope even stopped by the hotel he stayed at before the conclave to pay his bill the day after he was chosen.  This character is similar to that of St. Francis, a medieval patron saint of Italy, who was born into a wealthy family but also took a vow of poverty.  These actions have served to warm Catholics to their new leader. [1]

There have been, however, some accusations of Pope Francis’ involvement in Argentina’s Dirty War, which took place in the 1970’s.  At the time, Francis was the provincial, or leader, of Argentina’s Jesuits.  The war, led by the dictatorship in power at the time, resulted in the torture, murder and disappearance of approximately 30,000 left-wing guerrillas and socialists or accused left-wing sympathizers.  Francis has been accused of allowing the kidnapping of two priests in 1976 by not fighting against the dictatorships’ rule, but has disputed the claims for years and has recently been backed by many left-wing Argentines. [2]

Regardless of the uncertainty concerning Pope Francis’ involvement in the Dirty War, his conversational and warm speech to the masses gathered in front of the Vatican to see the white smoke last week has already won him many fans.  Paired with his economic mind-set, this friendly new Catholic leader may be the comfort and stability Catholics seek as their church expands and works to eradicate the rumors of sexual abuse and other moral issues that have spread in recent years.  Perhaps the first Jesuit and South American Pope will break the cycle of issues with new ideas and a fresh outlook on the future of the Roman Catholic Church. 

[1] Rachel Donadio for “The New York Times”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/world/europe/pope-francis.html

[2] Simon Romero and William Neuman for “The New York Times”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03…

Current Affairs staff writer for Her Campus Brown!