This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

What’s one of the best parts of college that I bet we can all agree on? 

Food.

Living on or around campus, we’re surrounded by hundreds of cafes and restaurants, many of them priced to fit a college student’s budget. 

But if you’re a freshman at Brown, like me, you’re probably not well-versed in all the best places to eat around campus. That’s why I’m going to tell you about some of the best recommendations for food on campus, as well as the best ways to get it. 

Best Food Around Campus

Earlier this month, I put out a post on the Dear Blueno Facebook page asking for some students’ favorite places to get food around campus. Based on the post responses as well as feedback from friends, here’s a list* of some of the most delicious food around.

• Kabob and Curry (Thayer Street) – An Indian restaurant with lots of options for both vegans and vegetarians.

• Baja’s Taqueria (Thayer Street) – Great Tex-Mex food, including options to build your own tacos, nachos, and burritos.

• Bagel Gourmet (Brook Street) – Only open in the mornings and afternoons, but plenty of different options even if bagels aren’t your favorite.

• Heng Thai & Rotisserie (Angell Street) – A great Thai restaurant, also with options for those who are vegan or gluten-free.

• La Creperie (Fones Alley) – Not only do they have crepes, but they also have Belgian waffles, smoothies, salads, and wraps.

• East Side Pockets (Thayer Street) – A Middle-Eastern spot known for its falafel and kebab wraps. 

*Disclaimer: There were a ton of recommendations that I got! This list is just a few of some of the most-mentioned spots.

Food Delivery and Pickup

Amid a pandemic, options for food delivery are especially important because eating inside restaurants isn’t permitted. Luckily, there are some great options for ordering food on campus.

Many restaurants now offer online ordering through their websites. If this isn’t an option, there are multiple mobile apps that you can order food through. The Snackpass app, for example, allows you to place a mobile order for either delivery or pick up at several restaurants in the area. Through Snackpass, you can also get a variety of discounts and rewards when you order food. 

Other apps that let you order food include:

Ordering food through contactless delivery or pickup is a safe, reliable way to try out new restaurants without having to risk your health. 

What about Groceries?

If you’re like me, then the thought about getting groceries on campus has probably crossed your mind. Dining halls and restaurants are wonderful, but there are some staple items that you need to get at a grocery store. 

Luckily, there are some options for getting these kinds of things too.

For example, you can use Amazon to order delivery or pickup from Whole Foods. 

Another option is to use Instacart, an app that lets you order from a variety of different stores, and then have your groceries delivered at a scheduled time. I personally used Instacart to order from Stop & Shop recently, and loved the experience! If your store runs out of a product you requested, you can either choose a similar replacement or have the item taken off of your order. What I liked, in particular, was that after I placed my order, I could continue to add or take items off of my grocery list in case there was something that I had forgotten or didn’t need.

Also, when campus activity expands and students are allowed to shop in-person, check out Eastside Marketplace. They offer so many different product options and are relatively inexpensive. Plus, they offer a discount to students who show their ID seven days a week!

Overall, there are so many options for trying new food on campus that don’t involve eating inside. If you’re looking to buy groceries or other essentials as well, there are plenty of ways to do so. 

Hi there! My name is Mason Thompson and I'm from Owensboro, Kentucky. I'm a member of the class of 2024 at Brown University and currently planning on concentrating in psychology. Other than being a part of Her Campus, I am am member of Circle of Women at Brown and plan on joining the women's varsity equestrian team. I absolutely love coffee-- caffeine runs through my blood! I also really like animals (I have two dogs) and Studio Ghibli movies.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.