This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

There’s nothing better than the feeling when the air gets crisp and the leaves begin to change colors in the fall. And while fresh salads and refreshing drinks are perfect for the warmer months, autumn always calls for cozy weather comfort food that is sure to bring you feelings of warmth and peace. What better way to welcome in a new season than to curl up with a book, hot cider, and a great meal? Below is a delicious recipe for apple cake that serves as a great dessert or snack, and one that’s buttery, fluffy texture perfectly mixes sweet and savory taste. 

Ingredients

• 2 cups of apples (best freshly picked from an orchard!)
  • 2 eggs
  • ¾ tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp confectioners sugar
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • ½ sliced almonds or walnuts (optional)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F
  2. Grease and line a 9” cake pan
  3. Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk together.
  4. Whisk oil and sugar in a separate bowl. Then add in the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
  6. Add the apple slices into the mixture. An optional addition is the ¾ chopped walnuts or any other nuts that you fancy!
  7. Pour into the cake and sprinkle the sliced almonds over the mixture.
  8. Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through.
  9. Cool for ten minutes before turning the cake onto a rack to cool.
  10. Dust confectioners sugar or pour icing over the cake as you like.
  11. Enjoy the cake for dessert at a dinner party with friends or next to a fire with your favorite book!

Inspiration for the recipe from https://www.recipetineats.com/easy-apple-cake-recipe/

Brown University, Class of 2023