couples costumes?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
couples costumes?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Paramount Pictures
Life > Experiences

Eight Themes For Your Next Halloween Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Murder Mystery

Work with your friends to uncover a murder. Buy a murder mystery game and follow the clues to solve it. Tell your guests what character they will be in advance so they can prepare and dress accordingly. You even can transform your venue into a crime scene and add caution tape and body outlines to your heart’s content!

Truth or Scare

Take your classic childhood game and give it a twist. Instead of playing the standard version of truth or dare, you have to make your dares ~scary~. From visiting a local graveyard to playing a round of Ouija, if these dares don’t scare your guests into spilling their darkest secrets, I don’t know what will!

Assassin

This is your chance to recreate the iconic Gossip Girl episode where Serena throws Nate an assassin-themed birthday party. Turn your neighborhood into a bloodbath by playing one big game of tag. If someone tags you, you’re dead. This continues until there is only one person left standing.

The ’80s

While any decade might do for a theme party, the ’80s offer myriad costume opportunities and are ideal for Halloween. Invite your friends to dress as iconic ’80s characters and give out prizes for creativity. You’ll be surprised to find Pacman, Freddie Mercury, and Jane Fonda attending your party!

Politics

With midterm elections right around the corner, everyone is thinking about politics. Invite your friends to dress as any politician–dead or alive–and see the frightening conversations that emerge as they explain why they choose who they chose. You might find Margaret Thatcher and Barack Obama in serious debate or Bill Clinton and Nelson Mandela toasting together.

Space Cowgirl

While no one knows how this fad emerged–given that it has little in common with the 2000 movie “Space Cowboys”– it will still be fun to see everyone’s take on the trend. Tell your guests to interpret their theme as they wish and get ready to host aliens, astronauts, cowboys, or people who – inexplicably – are all three! 

Black & White… and Orange

Host a classy black and white party, but add a tinge of orange to the mix, then wait for everyone to arrive in their spookiest black-tie fits. To add to the theme’s ambiance, try to offer hors d’oeuvres and drinks that match the dress code. Be sure to include orange juice and pumpkin mini-quiches on your menu.

🎃 Related: Random Rant: Halloween Edition
Magdalena is a Junior at Brown concentrating in English Nonfiction and Economics. Magdalena has a passion for journalism and she writes for the Brown Daily Herald and Latina. Last Spring Magdalena was published in the Boston Globe. Her other interests include photography, literature, and travel.