Brown University Student Ranks Ariana Grande & The Weeknd’s Unforgettable Collabs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

The music industry’s dream team has gifted us with a fourth, and hopefully not final, collaboration this past weekend. This time, The Weeknd enlisted Ariana Grande on a remix of his Starboy hit, “Die For You.” It is no surprise this song is an instant success as their past collaborations –“Love Me Harder,” “Off the Table,” and “Save Your Tears (Remix)” – have been just as melodious and unforgettable. While every fan likely has a different ranking of the duo’s best records, I decided to challenge myself and rank these 4 tremendous songs based on lyrical creativity and composition. 

4. “Die For You (Remix)” 

It pains me to rank this song as “last,” as I think both the original (2016) and the remix (2023) are phenomenal, but I wish Ariana’s warm vocals in the latter would have been more pronounced. 

3. “Off the Table” ft. The Weeknd Positions

Ariana Grande switches gears on “Off the Table” as it is not hyper-pop; rather, she excels at showcasing a more sultry sound with support from the Weeknd on this stripped-back R&B production. While “Off the Table” has almost-plodding moments, both singers succeed at capturing romance and desire with several impressive runs and scales.

2. “Save Your Tears (Remix)”

I was listening to this track non-stop when it was released. Ariana’s verse makes this song even greater, as her deeper voice implements euphonious harmonies in the chorus. Furthermore, her whistle tones send chills down my spine, making “Save Your Tears (Remix)” an instantly loved song for myself and the rest of the world as it had reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in August 2021.

1. “Love Me Harder” 

When I think of a perfect pop song, “Love Me Harder” always comes to mind. Ariana Grande and The Weeknd hit gold on their first collaboration, as the sensual, smoldering lyrics complement the luxurious pop synthesizers in this risque masterpiece. While their other collaborations are also amazing, nothing beats the original.

Junior at Brown University double majoring in International & Public Affairs and Public Health who is a California girl at heart, enjoys hot girl walks and spin classes, feels at home at the movie theater, and is a part-time Lululemon employee (<3 the discount)