Big Name, Big Solution– Maybe Not.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Every few months or so, a celebrity reveals that he or she has struggled or is currently struggling with an eating disorder. Princess Diana, actress Jessica Alba, and musician Elton John are all part of this group. Sometimes it comes as a surprise, sometimes the public was anticipating the news, but what these revelations have in common is that these popular figures tell their stories and send a message to both their adoring fans and their intense haters. Celebrities are commended for their honesty, their bravery, and often portrayed an example for the public of how to seek help. When former Disney Channel star Demi Lovato told the public about her experiences with bulimia and self-harm about a year and a half ago, she was received with open arms and the public genuinely wished her a swift recovery.

While it’s a refreshing change from the continuous bashing Hollywood actors get for perpetuating unhealthy body weights, how do these revelations affect the millions of people in the country dealing with disordered eating? Can the recent publicity of Lady Gaga’s bulimia in high school and current weight issues help those of us who are struggling every day?

… Especially when, at the same time, anorexia, bulimia, and weight are regularly the subjects of jokes on some of our favorite television shows? Both Family Guy and Flight of the Conchords have done it. Even Disney Channel has been there. An episode of Disney Channel’s sitcom “Shake It Up” made light of a eating disorders last December. Demi Lovato publically took a stand, saying “I find it really funny how a company can lose one of their actress’ from the pressures of an EATING DISORDER and yet still make about that.. …very disease…… #nice.” She followed up with “Dear Disney Channel, EATING DISORDERS ARE NOT SOMETHING TO JOKES ABOUT.” Amen to that, Demi.

Hollywood needs to work harder to stop sending mixed messages. Take a stand and stay behind it. Don’t perpetuate these negative, unfunny, unnecessary jokes and attitudes and then run to support celebrities after they’ve opened up about their struggle.

Luisa Robledo and Haruka Aoki instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.