Be Nice to Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

As a self-identified African-American, I’d never considered skin cancer to be something I needed to worry about. Blacks can’t get that, right? (Common myth.) And it’s certainly true that of all diagnosed cases, blacks comprise only about 1-2%.[1]  Yet studies show that survival rates for African Americans with skin cancer hover at 77%, compared to the 91% for Caucasians. As it turns out, skin cancer for those who are darker is often not diagnosed until late in the game. Bob Marley’s situation was tragically advanced by the time he found that he had contracted a dangerous melanoma on the bottom of his toe, which then ultimately spread to his lungs and brain. The cancer caused his death on May 11, 1981.

I begin this article with some not-so-friendly cancer statistics not to freak you out, but in order to caution those of you (myself included), who are heading to warm and tropical locations next week. While taking care of your skin may not (actually, certainly is not) your top priority for Spring Break—let’s get real — it’s important to remember the dangers of too much UV exposure in the process of relaxation. About 90% of nonmelanoma skin cancers are associated with exposure to UV radiation from the sun, and half of all adults report at least one sunburn in the past year.[2]

There are several easy ways to protect your skin. First and foremost, you can prevent sun damage by applying sunscreen (with a minimum of SPF 15 or 30) whenever you anticipate spending time outside. Additionally, if you suffer from dry and scratchy skin, there are moisturizers that actually contain sunscreen; you can battle two enemies to healthy skin at once. But UV radiation is not the only thing to be concerned about. Many people have particularly oily skin, which becomes a breeding ground for acne and blackheads. One easy solution for this is to rinse your face twice a day with warm water, and then wipe it with an alcohol free, hydrating toner. Applying moisturizers (e.g. Vaseline, lotions, etc.) will also ameliorate the problem. If your skin is particularly sensitive- e.g., if you have allergic reactions to certain skin products, or your skin becomes easily inflamed – use gentler cleansers. Some ingredients that bode well for the sensitive include chamomile, allantoin, lavender, camphor, calamine, rosemary, and aloe vera.[3]

In order to have healthy skin, it’s important to lead a healthy lifestyle. Did you know that tobacco ages the skin more effectively than most other common items? Did you know that being stressed out might very likely cause you to break out? Try to keep a good diet, and practice some deep-breathing exercises at home (particularly as midterms loom before us.) In case you didn’t know, you can pick up mediation CDs at Brown Health Services, with stress-relieving exercises included. The point is this: most aspects of our health are inter-related. If you take good care of your body- reduce the drinking, smoking, and other pernicious habits – odds are that you’ll feel better on your skin and in your mind. So eat some fruits and vegetables, give yourself a breather, and enjoy Spring Break! Most importantly, don’t forget to lather on some sunscreen before you hit the beach.

[1] According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, accessed via Huff Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…

[2] Satistics taken from the Skin Cancer Foundation website, “Skin Cancer Facts”, http://www.skincancer.org/skin…

[3] Solutions to sensitive skin taken from wikiHow, “How to Take Care of Your Skin”, http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Ca…