In the Aftermath – The Israel/Gaza Conflict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

On November 14th, Israel launched an air campaign against the Gaza strip with the
intention of targeting Hamas. A “hardline party” that has ruled Palestine since
2007, Hamas is the largest militant movement in the area. It was founded in 1987,
a “US-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization violently opposed to the state
of Israel.” The outbreak lasted for 7 days, culminating in a ceasefire after peace
talks between Israel, Palestine and Egypt. Notes CNN reporter Erin Burnett, this
agreement marked the first time that Israel had successfully negotiated with an
Islamist government. Over the course of the week, an estimated 142 people were
killed in Palestine and 5 in Israel, including many civilians and small children.

How does this affect our campus? Says Sami Isman ’15, “My family lives close
to Tel Aviv, near the border of the West Bank…the threat of terrorist attacks is
always there.” For Isman, Israel represents a home in many senses of the word. “I’ve
never lived there, but it’s a very special thing for me to go. I’m not sure if every
Jewish person feels that, but to me it feels like going home; this is the country for my
people.” According to Lani Wenger, a junior currently studying abroad in Tel Aviv,
everything feels relatively safe, though she notes that this kind of activity is nothing
new for Israel. This month’s crisis threw Birthright into question for a number of
Jewish American Brown students, including Ali Murphy ’14: “I know that
Birthright’s number one goal is safety, and that this isn’t the first time the country
has been in conflict in the program’s 13 years, but they’ve never had to cancel a trip
before. They sent us regular emails, and at first offered the chance to get your
refund deposit back… I think during that time when we weren’t sure of whether it
would happen or not all of us felt more connected to the events. When you can
imagine yourself there, you start to understand more of the human impact of these
things.”

Although both sides consented to a ceasefire, there was no signed ‘pen to
paper’ agreement. According to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, “…I
agreed with him [US President Barack Obama] that we should give the cease-fire a
chance in order to enable a lull in the situation and allow for the citizens of Israel to
return to routine. However, Israel obviously cannot sit idly while our enemy
reinforces itself with weapons of terror.” Netanyahu’s statement does not inspire
much confidence that the ceasefire will have a lasting impact. Given the long and
contentious history between Israel and Palestine, the events of last week testify to
the continued relevance of the issue. “Israelis are better off than the Palestinians,”
says Isman, “but neither group should be suffering.”

Sources:
The New York Times, “World: Gaza Strip”, http://topics.nytimes.com/top/…
international/countriesandterritories/gaza_strip/index.html
Council on Foreign Relations, “Hamas”, http://www.cfr.org/israel/hama…
Jewish Press News Briefs, “Prime Minister Netanyahu’s Official Statement on the
netanyahus-official-statement-on-the-cease-fire/2012/11/22/