This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Building a winter wardrobe can be a mystifying task. One aims to be simultaneously warm in the cooler temperatures, while also somewhat stylish. With darker colors and shapeless jackets, it can be a challenge to not look like an oblong marshmallow. Fret not, however, follow these tips for building a winter wardrobe this season that will flaunt your fashion without sacrificing comfort.

start with smart layers

As the temperatures begin to drop, layers are crucial to keeping warm. Wear this cult favorite SKIMS long-sleeve t-shirt or basic short sleeve tee underneath a sweater or layer on this ultra warm long sleeve for extra protection against the cold. If you are exercising, try this breathable long sleeve underneath your jacket.

Invest in Sweaters

One thing every fashionable girl can agree on is that quality sweaters are worth the investment. A well-made and soft sweater will carry you through numerous seasons, trends, and events, as they can be easily dressed up or down. This classic crewneck sweater comes in a multitude of colors for any outfit. This cozy cardigan can be layered over your favorite tees. Lastly, an oversized v-neck or timeless turtleneck sweater can keep you both warm and stylish for all your winter occasions.

Go for Classic Jeans

While athleisure has taken over these past few years, jeans are timeless, so it is worth having a few classic pairs in your closet. These Levi’s straight leg jeans come in a variety of washes and can go with anything in your closet. Try these trendy and comfortable wide-leg jeans. And no, skinny jeans are not out, this pair of skinny jeans will always be in style.

Pick a Jacket to Go with Anything

Jackets, while crucial for winter temperatures, can often be bulky, unstylish, and ruin an outfit. Fortunately, there are some coats that will keep you both warm and fashionable. Wool coats like this one are enduringly stylish and this puffer jacket comes in a color you are sure to love. Add another layer with this Patagonia fleece jacket that can double as both indoor and outdoor attire.

Opt for Warm Accessories

If you live in a cooler climate, you know that warm hats, gloves, and socks are essential for your walks to lectures or the inevitable outdoor winter excursion. This colorful beanie or Lululemon wool hat can keep your ears and head toasty, while these L.L Bean wool socks or UNIQLO Heattech socks can take care of your feet. Don’t forget technology-friendly gloves, so you can take photos of the first snow and post them too!

Winterize Your Shoes

While I love my Air Force 1’s and Hokas as much as the next girl, they are unfortunately not made for snow and cooler temperatures. Invest in these Bean boots, which will be sure to carry you through rain, snow, and sleet. For a more stylish pair of boots, go with these Chelsea boots. For warmth in your inevitably chilly dorm, go with these UGG slippers.

Get Cozy in Loungewear

As the seasons change, your pajamas and loungewear should too. This PJ set comes in numerous festive colors and is ethereally soft. For a cozy outfit that can be easily worn outside of the house, try this Alo hoodie and sweatpants combo or this Lululemon crewneck and pants pair. 

Prepare to Party

Winter is the season for holiday parties and New Years festivities, so festive attire is a must in a winter wardrobe. You can never go wrong with a classic LBD or simple red dress. For something sparkly, try this Reformation dress. If dresses aren’t your thing, pair this off the shoulder top with this sequin skirt.

Alexandra Tucker is a writer at Brown's Her Campus chapter from Boston, Massachusetts. She writes on style, culture, food, and Providence. Alex is currently a junior at Brown University, concentrating in Public Health and Health and Human Biology. She is a volunteer at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, is a member of the Women's Health Advocacy Group, manages the social media account of Fashion @ Brown, and belongs to the Kappa Delta sorority. In her free time, Alex enjoys doing yoga, frequenting cute cafes around Providence and Boston, doing New York Times crossword puzzles, and exploring Brown's campus on foot with a good podcast.