7 Essentials You Need In Your Bag For A Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

As a college student, going out on the weekends is always a fun way to relieve stress, spend time with friends, and meet new people. As you prepare for any night out, no matter how you choose to spend it, you may find yourself scrambling around your dorm thinking about what to bring with you. Well, no worries! I’ve comprised a list of seven things that you need to bring with you on a night out.

Your Phone

This one is a no brainer because for most people, our phones go everywhere with us. But, make sure before you go out that your phone is completely charged up. You want to be able to contact anyone that you need to, or order an Uber or Lyft to bring you back to your place. 

A Phone Wallet

Phone Wallets are, very un-objectively, one of the best inventions ever. Attach a stick on wallet to a cute phone case and you’ve got the perfect place to put your ID card, school ID, and credit card. Plus, since it is attached to your phone, you are less likely to lose what’s inside!

Your Dorm Key

Make sure that you have your dorm key before leaving the room! If you don’t want to get locked out in the middle of the night when you arrive back at your dorm, it’s best to remember your key. If you don’t want to bring it, make sure you and your roommate discuss leaving the door unlocked before you go out!

Your Favorite Lippie

Going out is super fun and looking nice while going out is always such a self-esteem boost. Even though you might get ready before the event, your lipstick or lip gloss can get rubbed off. I always keep a spare lip gloss with me for touch ups throughout the night.

Mini Deodorant

Do you also love shopping in the travel sized section at pharmacy stores? I always make sure to have one travel sized deodorant with me when I am out and about. This could be a lifesaver if you get sweaty while dancing, or if you just want peace of mind and to smell good all throughout the night. A mini deodorant fits super nicely in a shoulder bag and doesn’t hurt to have.

Hair Ties

If you are out dancing for a while, you might want to scrap your curled hairstyle and put your hair in a ponytail. Whether these are in your bag or on your wrist, they are always an essential.

Gum/Mints

Finally, having something minty in your bag is such a good idea. Having fresh breath even in the middle of the night can make you feel energized. A quick mint can refresh your night and leave you feeling super confident.

Have so much fun on your next night out and I hope you keep these tips in mind for what to bring in your bag! Am I missing anything that you usually bring with you? Let me know!

Julia is a writer for and member of Her Campus at Brown. She is a Psychology concentrator at Brown University in the class of 2026. On Brown's campus, she is involved in research at the Causality and Mind Lab as an undergraduate research assistant. In addition, she is learning American Sign Language and participates in many Sign Language Society events. Julia is involved with the Brown Daily Herald's podcast in addition to Hillel. In her free time, she enjoys acting, singing, and dancing. Julia loves painting her nails, spending time on the main green with friends, going on morning runs and night walks, and shopping at Trader Joes.