Style > Fashion

5 Items You Need In Your Fall Capsule Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

New seasons occasion new styles. Newness lends itself to excitement, whether it be the dawn of autumn or your first year at college. There remain positives, however, to curating, maintaining, and revitalizing classic autumnal pieces.

In my second year at Brown, I have garnered inspiration from morning strolls to class on the Main Green, glances of coffee-shop goers on Thayer Street, and the impressive collectors of Providence’s finest thrift finds. Trends in autumnal fashion seem to have a way of changing hues just as the leaves do, rather than morphing shapes altogether. This gives rise to the capsule wardrobe idea: a timeless collection of core classics that can create trend-forward outfits. Not only is it incredibly wise for your wallet and sustainable for the environment, but the capsule wardrobe also serves as an anchor for your personal style while experimenting with fleeting fashion phenomenon.

I have established five leading essentials in any Brown students’ capsule autumn wardrobe that will serve you perianally walking up Waterman Street towards the Blue Room, in Wriston Quad, or a special Family Weekend Dinner in Wayland. 

classic, well-fitted button down

Perfect for layering underneath sweaters, sweatshirts, or blazers for an interview. Explore colors and patterns that align with your personal style and complement preexisting pullovers in your wardrobe drawers.

statement coat

On College Hill, as the morning air becomes crisper, you will find yourself craving a warm jacket on your walks to classes and clubs. Opt for either a less-reserved design or pattern. If you chose a more trend-forward puffer jacket, choose a more neutral color such as black, beige, or brown. If you chose a waterfall belted shape, feel free to explore various color palette options such as houndstooth, plaid, or muted blues and sage greens.

cashmere sweater

Cashmere may just be my favorite way to celebrate cooler temperatures. If cared for properly, quality cashmere will last indefinitely. I love finding last years’ cashmere on discount at Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, or Rue La La. Since the goal is to select items that will pair well with transient trends, purchasing last years’ designs will not impede on your capsule wardrobe. Cable knit sweaters and navy-striped cardigans are my two favorites for a college lifestyle.

perfect straight leg jeans

The fit matters most here! Be sure to try on many pairs of pants at local thrift boutiques or shops. Select one of the following design details to personalize your pair: frayed hem, neutral/none-blue color, high-waisted, or gently flared.

international student?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash
gold earrings

As layers accumulate and necklines rise, statement earrings serve a more important purpose. My personal favorites include pearl and hoop designs that are visible and will make you appear pulled together no matter the occasion. 

Happy shopping!

Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.