Life > Experiences

3 Key Takeaways From My First Spring Break In The Tropics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Spring Break provides the perfect opportunity for a fun getaway with friends. But planning and executing a trip isn’t as simple as it seems. I just completed a Spring Break trip to Montego Bay with some friends. While it was an incredible experience, there were definitely some lessons learned! Here are some of the biggest takeaways from my spring break experience.

Prepare for some spending.

Spring Break costs are far more than transportation and lodging! Popular spring break destinations typically inflate prices for food and beverages. I learned this firsthand while staying in a resort — finding a cheap drink or meal was practically impossible. I spent far more money than I anticipated when budgeting for the trip. 

consider your destination’s weather.

After spending the past months in Providence’s winter weather, going to a warm, tropical climate shocked the system. While it was wonderful to soak up the sun, I got badly sunburned! Be prepared to consistently reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Use a product with a minimum SPF of 30 if headed to a tropical location.

don’t neglect your schoolwork.

I made the mistake of not working on any assignments during my vacation. And while that made for a relaxing and fun trip, I got absolutely slammed with work the second I set foot back on campus, making for a stressful and overwhelming week. I recommend spending a little time each day doing some assignments to feel more prepared for the return to school.

Elle Horst

Brown '26

Elle Horst is a freshman at Brown University from Northern California. She plans on concentrating in International Public Affairs with a Policy and Governance focus. As an avid journalist in high school, Elle is thrilled to join Her Campus as a staff writer. In her free time, she enjoys drinking good coffee, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, and binging TV shows.