10 of the Best Thanksgiving and Christmas TV Episodes to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Around this time of year, everyone is looking for an escape from their boring daily routines and what is soon to be the biting cold of winter. Sometimes, all you need is to curl up under the covers with your laptop and watch Netflix. It can be more difficult than anticipated, though, to find a new, unwatched show that fits your vibe. Instead, you can watch the holiday episodes of a bunch of classic shows to get you in the mood for the Holiday season, from Thanksgiving to New Years! Below is a compilation of some of my favorite holiday-themed episodes that you can enjoy without having to have seen the rest of the series!

NEW GIRL Season 4, Episode 9: Thanksgiving IV: Bangsgiving

Everyone has to bring a date compatible for someone else in the friend group.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Season 3, Episode 9: “Slapsgiving”

Marshall tells Barney that the 3rd slap in their slap bet will happen on Thanksgiving and they spend the entire episode dodging each other. Sexual tension between Robin and Barney is high.

FRIENDS Season 7 Episode 10: The One With The Holiday Armadillo

Ross wants his son Ben to learn about Hanukkah. Phoebe tries to create bad blood between Rachel and Joey so she can move in.

MODERN FAMILY Season 6 Episode 8: Three Turkeys

Phil and Luke take the responsibility of cooking the Thanksgiving turkey, but Claire doesn’t trust them and makes a backup one. Lily refuses to wear a dress to dinner, much to the dismay of Mitch and Cam.

FRIENDS Season 6 Episode 9: The One Where Ross Got High

Ross reveals the reason why he and Monica’s parents don’t like Chandler. Rachel tries and fails to make dessert. Chandler tries to impress Monica’s parents.

NEW GIRL Season 6 Episode 10: Christmas Eve Eve

Jess makes the loft play Secret Santa.

MODERN FAMILY Season 1 Episode 10: Undeck the Halls

Phil and Claire cancel Christmas until their kids own up to their mistakes. Jay doesn’t want to celebrate Christmas the way Gloria and Manny do it. Lily meets Santa.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Season 2 Episode 11: How Lily Stole Christmas

Lily finds out that Ted said some ill-natured things about her while she and Marshall were broken up, and decides to put away her Christmas decorations. Barney is too sick to carry through with his Christmas plans.

THE OFFICE Season 5 Episode 11: Moroccan Christmas

Phyllis and Angela get into a disagreement regarding who has the responsibility of planning the Christmas party. Dwight buys several of a popular gift so that others have difficulty finding it.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Season 1 Episode 11: The Limo

Ted spends much of his Christmas bonus on a Limo for he and his friends on New Years Eve 2005, but as usual, things don’t go as planned.

LIST OF HOLIDAY EPISODES BY SHOW

New Girl

• Season 6, Episode 7: Last Thanksgiving

• Season 3, Episode 10: Thanksgiving III

• Season 2, Episode 8: Parents

• Season 1, Episode 6: Thanksgiving

• Season 2, Episode 11: Santa

• Season 4, Episode 11: LAXmas

• Season 1, Episode 9: The 23rd

How I Met Your Mother

• Season 6, Episode 10: Blitzgiving

• Season 7, Episode 11: The Rebound Girl

• Season 1, Episode 9: Belly Full of Turkey

• Season 4, Episode 11: Little Minnesota

• Season 6, Episode 12: False Positive

• Season 7, Episode 12: Symphony of Illumination

• Season 8, Episode 10: The Over-Correction

• Season 8, Episode 11: The Final Page, part 1

• Season 8, Episode 12: The Final Page, part 2

• Season 5, Episode 9: Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap

The Office

• Season 8, Episode 10: Christmas Wishes

• Season 9, Episode 9: Dwight Christmas

• Season 6, Episode 13: Secret Santa

• Season 7, Episode 11: Classy Christmas, part 1

• Season 7, Episode 12: Classy Christmas, part 2

• Season 3, Episode 10: Benihana Christmas, part 1

• Season 3, Episode 11: Benihana Christmas, part 2

• Season 2, Episode 10: Christmas Party

• Season 7, Episode 9: WUPHF.com

Friends

• Season 9, Episode 10: The One With Christmas In Tulsa

• Season 4, Episode 10: The One With The Girl From Poughkeepsie

• Season 5, Episode 10: The One With The Inappropriate Sister

• Season 1, Episode 10: The One With The Monkey

• Season 8, Episode 11: The One With Ross’s Step Forward

• Season 2, Episode 9: The One With Phoebe’s Dad

• Season 6, Episode 10: The One With The Routine

• Season 3, Episode 10: The One Where Rachel Quits

ALL IMAGES FROM GIPHY

Madeleine is a rising junior at Brown University, studying International and Public Affairs with a concentration in Development.
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.