Name: Marci Berman Maher – Deutsch
Work: Ramblewood Middle School
Position: Teacher/Counselor in Training
Major: Recently School Counseling
Degrees: AA in Education, BA in Elementary Education/English 6-12, M Ed. Reading Education, Ed. S Counseling Education
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Current Hometown: Margate, FL
1. How did you discover Her Campus?
I discovered Her Campus through my niece Tiffany Joseph.
2. How would you discover yourself in three words?
I would describe myself in these three words: Curious, Empathetic, and Social.
3. What are some of your biggest accomplishments as an educator?
My biggest accomplishments as an educator are when students are impacted by something I have taught them, or shown them and they actually tell me or even have shown me something they have accomplished that they are proud of.
4. What got you into education?
I got into education after I had a career in the graphic arts industry and realized I wanted to work with younger people in a learning environment, where I could make a difference to others.
5. You started in the fourth grade, what got you into that?
I taught a student in fourth grade, and got hired in that grade. It was just by chance, and I liked it.
6. You recently got into middle school, what got you into that?
I felt I was better equipped after 13 years in elementary to teach older students, and I always liked the preteen years. I guess I was tired of teaching younger students.
7. What and/or who got you into being an educator?
My late husband John saw that I was getting burnt out from the high pace of the graphics industry, and he encouraged me to go back to school for the teaching degree.
8. What has being an educator has done for you?
Being an educator has taught me discipline, responsibility, to always have a “bag of tricks” with me ready for a quick change of lessons, if something isn’t working, flexibility, and professionalism.
9. You were an author, what was your inspiration, what did you write about, and where can one get such a reading piece?
I was always a good writer and I answered an ad that I saw on a bulletin board and took a chance. The magazine publisher liked my sample and I began freelancing. I also wrote for an online magazine and a parenting magazine as well as in a textbook that Florida Atlantic University uses. I even have copies of all publications.
10. If someone were to cast you as a celebrity as you in a movie, who would it be?
I think probably Sandra Bullock would be good to play me. We have a similar look, and I think she would understand my character and personality.
11. If you were to offer someone who is interested in your field, what would it be?
I would offer the advice that being a teacher or counselor requires being a better listener than speaker, and not to judge others. Also, let people/students find their own answers with you as their support.
12. Who is the biggest inspiration in your life?
This is a tough one. Many people have inspired me along the way. If I had to pick one person, maybe Jane Goodall. Because she threw all convention to the wind and followed a very unusual dream that has made a huge difference and she continues to work at it even at the age of 80.