jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Olay! So, what is Hispanic Heritage Month?

Every year, National Hispanic Heritage Month is observed and celebrated in the United States from September 15th to October 15th. This month is set aside to mark and commemorate the histories, cultures, and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America.

Did you know?

Hispanic Heritage Month began as only a week – long celebration? In 1968, President Lyndon Johnson began the efforts towards recognizing the contributions of people with Hispanic heritage by creating this special week. In August of 1988, President Ronald Reagan expanded this observation to the current dates by enacting Public Law 100 – 402.

Why is it Celebrated from September 15th to October 15th?

Most monthly celebrations in the United States last from the beginning of any month to it’s end. However, because the dates for so many important Hispanic struggles for independence fall within the September 15th to October 15th time frame, this month long observation reflects these special dates.

Celebrations of Independence: What anniversaries and struggles does Hispanic Heritage Month mark?

• September 15th marks the anniversary of independence for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
  • September 16th marks the date of independence for Mexico.
  • September 18th marks the date of independence for Chile.
  • September 21st marks the date of independence for Belize.
  • October 12th (also Columbus Day) is celebrated as Dia de la Raza.

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Student at Broward College for the past five years, first enrolled on Davie's Central Campus learning Physical Therapy for two years than, transferring to Coconut Creeks North campus for the last three years, now majoring in Early Childhood / Developmental Education. Spent first year with Her campus Broward as Outreach Director, former president of self-entitled campus friendship club, Sammy's Buddy Brigade, member of the Campus Science Club, and a Broward County local student Ambassador with Best Buddies International. Winner of the Sammy's award for most charity work within the community, and now Vice President of Her Campus Broward. I hope to soon be working at Junior Achievement with the elementary and middle school children, in order to have a well rounded experience! The hope is to one day work with and teach children who have special needs such as myself! Biggest belief and philosophy of life is that, no matter what anyone says you can't accomplish in life, I am living proof that anything is possible! Having ADHD, high functioning Autism, and medical conditions such as Scoliosis, helps me to understand special needs children on a level that very few people can! It is this very knowledge that led me to choose Teaching as my chosen profession. Now at age 42, and more than 55% on the way to getting an Associate of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education, I hope to become an Assistant Teacher within the next year or so. We hope that this true life story will inspire others to never give up either, no matter what anybody says, or tells you, that you can't do, the only one who can truly hold you back is "YOU".