mental health resources?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mental health resources?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Guide to Holy Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

What is Holy Week?

Holy Week is the week leading up to Easter. It begins with Palm Sunday and is a week of somber reflections on the events leading up to Easter. Let’s take a brief look at some of the primary observances in Holy Week….

Palm Sunday

Sunday before Easter. Celebration of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Observed with palm branches, parades, and celebration.

Monday/Thursday

Thursday before Easter. It commemorates the Last Supper. Often observed with foot washing, stripping of the altar, and overnight prayer vigil to keep watch with Jesus in the garden.

Good Friday

Friday before Easter. Most solemn day of the church year. Observes the day Jesus was crucified. Observed by praying the Stations of the Cross and three hours of silent prayer while Jesus was on the cross.

Holy Saturday

Saturday before Easter. Observes the day Jesus was in the tomb. This is a day of somber reflection, reflecting on what we’d miss is a world without Jesus. 

Easter Sunday

Hallelujah! Christ has risen! This day we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. Sing hallelujahs and celebrate with great joy!

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.