Guide Dog Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Dogs have been man’s best friend since

Being guide dog awareness month, September’s a good month to spare some thought to our furry four-legged compatriots and all they do for us.

According to Assistance Dog International guide dogs, help people who are blind or visually impaired. They do this by navigating them through traffic, keeping their owners away from obstacles and navigating them through their every day routine. To this end, guide dogs are trained in focus and obedience; as they are required to keep a steady pace by their handler’s side, and not be sidetracked by distractions surrounding them, be they other dogs people or any scurrying animals or inquiring smells, nothing can take their attention from helping their owners arrive safely to their destination.

Guide dogs were originated in Germany roughly after World War I. Their original purpose was to aid returning soldiers who had lost their sight in combat. The practice then took hold in The United States, with the inauguration of Nashville’s The Seeing Eye, a guide dog school now located in the 19020s. Only a decade behind, Great Brittain’s The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association began in the 1930s after a test run with a litter of German Shepperds who were handed off to soldiers who had lost their eyesight in World War I. From then the use of guide dogs has spread and come a long way, as it is guide dogs are now known in almost every part of the world.

Although there are three main breeds that are trained to honor the unspoken agreement to serve and protect; these are the Labrador the retriever and the golden retriever although other breeds have been added as their characteristics have proven as assets to what is needed from a guide dog.

Without much more preamble, here are some of the breeds known to be used as guide dogs.

Labrador Retrievers are at the top of the list. Their high intelligence, self-direction, and a sweet temperaments, make Labradors perfect for guide dogs. Labradors are also known for being great at handling children and the elderly and have a sweet disposition that makes them perfect for guide dogs. Studies have shown that of all the breeds, Labradors haver the highest success rate at becoming guide dogs.

Although German Shepherds are mostly known for police work but they are also very often used as guide dogs. Having had earlier training, as the military used thousands of German Shepherds as military dogs, taking them home afterward, where people were astounded b the breed’s intellect. Their ability to work regardless of distractions something which make them valuable to police work also makes them valuable as guide dogs. As stated before German Shepperds were in fact the original uide dogs, before the retriever stole the spot.

Similar to the German Shepperd the poodle is another breed with a past working for the military. The poodles’ intelligence rating among the highest in dog breeds second only to border collies, make it easy to command and understand what is required from it.

Another breed that does well as a guide dog, and which perhaps has a bad reputation as it preceeds it, is the Rottweiler. The FCI standard describes a Rotteweiler as “good-natured, placid in basic disposition, very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work.”. Its good temperament, strenght, intelligence and desire to protect its home and family makes the Rotteweiler an apt choice for a guide dog.

The Standoffshire Bull Terrier brings up the rear in this list. Known not only for its intelligence and loyalty, but also for its quietness on and off dury as well as its stability have made the Standoffshire Bull Terrier into a multi-purpose dog.

Overall, dogs give us a lot of benefits and all they ask in return is a belly rub, so this September and every month afterwards, be good to your dogs.

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.