3 New Year’s Resolutions You Won’t Want to Fail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

With the new year on the rise, it’s safe to say that there are high hopes for 2017. How much worse than 2016 could it get? Will Donald Trump do something even more controversial than his latest stunt(s)? Likely—but there will always be perplexing issues in the way, and often they are issues that no one individual has much control over. So what does this mean? Think about what can YOU do in 2017 so in December you’re not mourning over the worst 365 days of your entire life (i.e. 2016). Now, not everyone had a bad year (even though everybody everyone liked died), but just the same, here are three resolutions for the new year that just may make this at least a better year than the last!

1. Save Money!

Set up a savings goal! Tip: Stash away at least a dollar of loose change every time you shop until the end of the year. Buy more presents, go on a cruise or donate!

2. Volunteer

Find a way to volunteer your time. Make a commitment! What are you passionate about? Do you have a heart for helping others? Even if you generally don’t enjoy volunteering, there are creative ways to forego a commitment, even virtually.

3. Sleep

Forget ‘losing weight’ this year—TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF instead. Donald Trump is president, so this one is vital. But in all seriousness, stress is everywhere. SLEEP. Commit to going to bed at a certain time every night and set a reminder thirty minutes before to prepare yourself (i.e. stay away from your phone). I’m talking to the 24-hour movie/netflix-bingers!

And of course—ALWAYS DRINK MORE WATER.

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.