This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This week the trailer for the highly anticipated, gag-fuelled romp that will be Zoolander 2 has finally been released. But it was not for its witty one liners that the film has been in the headlines. Transgender activists have been up in arms over Benedict Cumberbatch’s cartoonish portrayal of an adrogyne/trans/non-binary supermodel; in particular, the moment where Benedict’s character is asked if he has a “hotdog or a bun.”

Over 10,000 people have signed an online petition made by LGBTQ activist, Sarah Rose, stating that they will boycott the film. The petition itself reads, “This is the modern equivalent of using blackface to represent a minority” – and the number of people signing it is still growing. So why the outrage? Why have so many people come out against this much loved take-the-mick humour?

Sarah Rose was quoted saying to Fox News: “[Zoolander 2] takes aim at so many different stereotypes, not just one trans character, I think that ultimately, the established trans community is fighting to simply fit in and to be treated equally.”

(Photo Credit: www.thejournal.ie/@fangirlJeanne)

But many feel that Zoolander 2 is not there to teach people about transgender problems, or educate people on the LGBTQ community. But isn’t that just the problem? Popular mediums should be aware of what they are saying and how they are depicting minorities. It’s 2015 and people are still so upsettingly close minded that I think we’re fundamentally failing. Do we really want our understanding of the LGBTQ community to be influenced by stereotypes? Shouldn’t we try and move passed the days where in every single film there’s a sassy black woman, a man-hating lesbian and a flamboyant gay man? For me, that’s not humour, it’s outdated.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am all for comedy. Being able to take the piss out of yourself and others is an essential part of being a well-rounded person. Despite this, there is a fine line that can be easily crossed when light-hearted mockery and making fun suddenly turns into jeering at people/minorities. A film that will reach millions of people should be aware of this line; careful not to promote ignorance.

(Photo Credit: www.x95radio.com/Zoolander)

For many critics taking the mickey is exactly what the franchise is all about. In films such as Zoolander the point is not to educate the masses, but to make light of everyone who is on screen. The film is renowned as just a bit of farcical fun, therefore can we really then assume that it would have a serious dialogue about a trans character?

It’s a difficult and complicated answer.

The debate over whether comedy should make a mockery of minorities will continue to outrage and incense people. This film and the reaction to this film, I think, is a very good example of why we must be careful not to tiptoe around freedom of speech. If we lose the ability to make fun of people we could be in danger of making the barrier of understanding the LGBTQ community even higher.

Comedy will always be controversial but I think it’s important to remember that we should be allowed to offend. Most importantly though, we should never be allowed to harm. In the case of Zoolander, I think that the comedy is harmful; it harms rather than involving and equalising the trans community. And that is what we have to be careful of doing. 

Ilka Kemp - Hall is Features Editor of HC Bristol. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine