Women’s History Month: Top 5 Women’s Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Podcasts are the easiest form of comfort, keeping you company while you’re walking, at the gym or getting ready. I find podcasts, particularly those run by women, are a space where you’re given the opportunity to be educated by others, inspiring for personal growth and development, and well as providing entertainment.

I have compiled a list of my favourite women’s podcasts in aid of Women’s History Month, in awe of the women who make (or critique who makes) history!

1. Goes without saying

My all-time favourite podcast, Goes Without Saying is run by two ‘twenty-something-year-olds’, Sephy and Wing. Their podcast is about mental health, feminism, navigating your twenties, privilege, race and relationships. It is brutally honest, littered with niche film and TV references and anecdotal experiences. Through their podcast, you befriend Sephy and Wing and engage with them as they look back on the anxiety-inducing nature of university and cringe at the tone-death nature of their former selves.

Listening to Goes Without Saying feels like talking to a best friend, who is giving you ‘cruel to be kind’ advice that you can break down, but also need to get up and ‘do the work’ for it. 

2. Growing with the Flow

Growing with the Flow is a podcast run by University of Edinburgh student and Youtuber, Nayna Florence Patel. She is an extremely comforting and sweet person, and listening to her podcast feels like a warm hug. She speaks about the transition between childhood and adulthood, wellness, and relationships. Nayna’s podcast is exceptionally reflective and honest and feels like a journal entry.

As a university student, she also feels relatable whilst she speaks through her consideration of postgraduate plans, the workforce and travelling. Nayna acts as a good influence big sister, talking you through her experiences and what she has learnt from them. 

3. Bobo and Flex

Bobo and Flex is a cross-continental podcast (between NYC and Australia), which focuses on reflecting upon our colonised, Eurocentric minds and creating intersectional, inclusive feminism. The podcast is exceptionally welcoming and creates an open dialogue in which the hosts discuss a myriad of trivial topics. It is a space where current culture is discussed and critiqued, and the women who have vast life experience and skillsets.

Between have them, they have been a DJ, author, chef, economics graduate, a writer, and much more. At times, they also speak on their experiences regarding mental health, neurodiversity and as black women. Bobo and Flex are informative, but also casual- definitely a place where you can self-develop.

4. The Girls Bathroom

The Girls Bathroom is run by two women, Sophia and Cinzia, who are lifelong best friends and share a YouTube channel where they vlog their daily lives, travels, and participate in challenges and mukbangs. They created their podcast and brand around being light-hearted, friendly people who discuss relationships and friendships.

They discuss the listener’s dilemmas and focus their episodes around giving Agony Aunt-esque advice while keeping the energy light-hearted and funny. It mimics the conversation of being in the women’s toilets in a bar or nightclub, full of supportive people who uplift and encourage you. 

5. Working Hard, Hardly Working

This podcast is run by Grace Beverly to accompany her bestselling book of the same title. She talks about how to reframe our perception of what ‘hard work’ is in contemporary society, inviting guests who are successful in their field of work to discuss topics such as burnout, the unseen elements of business and how they perceive success.

Grace Beverly is an influencer turned businesswoman (owning TALA and Shreddy), and studied at Oxford University, acknowledging her privilege in the world of business and interviewing those who have had more challenging paths.

This article is part of a themed content week for Women’s History Month.

Hannah Dale

Bristol '23

I am a second-year student studying English! I mainly enjoy wellness, but I would like to become increasingly informed on politics, and am a keen feminist. In my spare time I enjoy journalling, reading, yoga, walking or going to the gym and scrapbooking.