Winter Is Coming: A 5 Step Guide to Staying Happy in the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Winter is coming. Gone are the days of sunshine and shorts; it’s finally the time to embrace the shortening days, changing fashion, and cold weather. For some, winter may be a welcome respite (case in point, Lana Del Rey’s ‘Summertime Sadness’) but for many of us, the season change is not a reason to rejoice. For those with student houses too expensive to heat and the homesick fresher, this guide will help keep you happy in the cold winter months.

1. Home Comforts: Hugs & Hot Choc

If you’re looking for a little winter pick-me-up, look no further than your own home. Sharing body heat is a great natural defence against the cold, so grab a pal and have a hug. Group hugs are also encouraged, especially curled up in front of a film (preferably Love Actually) and wrapped up in a blanket. While you’re at it, why not put the kettle on and whip up a tasty hot chocolate? No need to worry, bikini season is well and truly over, and we need as much insulation as possible. A hug/hot chocolate combo is a true winner and a definite step towards staying happy this winter.

Image source – with bonus wintery hot chocolate recipe!

2. Pub not Club

‘Tis the season to bin Bunker, sack off Syndi and return to our traditional English watering hole: the Public House. Forget about the long, cold walk or treacherous taxi, the skimpy crop top and high-waisted shorts, because the jumper is here to stay and some say it goes very nicely with a glass of vino (#ootd). Bristol is teeming with lovely pubs, but The Clifton is a personal favourite (and you’ll never guess where it is…). If the roaring fire doesn’t do it for you, the comfy armchairs might and if all else fails there’s a quiz night. Definitely time to pub it, not club it.

Image source

3. Walk it off

There is no doubt chocolate will be featuring heavily in our diets this winter (see step 1), so a brisk walk will do a lot of good. Wrap up warm, don your biggest Michelin Man-style coat, and venture out into a cold, but hopefully sunny, Bristol. Needless to say, the Suspension Bridge provides a perfect scenic route but for the more courageous punter, Ashton Court Estate is a great alternative. Just a few hundred metres past the bridge, the estate has great walking and mountain biking routes, plus a cute courtyard café, which is perfect for a post-walk cuppa and cake!

Image source

4. Lather & Layer Up

To bathe or not to bathe, that is the question. If you’re not so lucky to have a bathtub this year skip to the second half of this step; but to those of us that do, take full advantage. A bubble bath can do wonders at the end of the day, and for the more money conscious, sharing water is allowed (we’re all friends here). Following your bath, you needn’t get cold – time to layer up! As many of our houses will be lacking heating this winter, layering is essential and can make quite the fashion statement. The vest, shirt, jumper, jacket layering system can never fail.

Image source

5. Moisturise Much?

During the winter months, its important to keep moisturised. The cold weather can dry, crack and damage skin so a moisturising routine is crucial. Find a moisturiser that suits your skin type and go for it. Don’t forget to moisturise your hands, elbows, and near enough everywhere else – it all deserves a little TLC!

Image credit: Getty Images

Article image source

Georgie or 'G' is a 21 year old, 2nd year Ancient History student studying at Bristol University. Originally from Cambridgeshire, Georgie is adjusting to the south westerly wind and not so even landscape of Bristol. Currently living in Clifton, Georgie enjoys its boutique coffee shops, delicious eateries, and great running routes. Her interests include: fashion, cake, her 2 dogs, keeping fit & healthy, good friends and lots of laughs. Instagram - http://instagram.com/gwils_ Twitter - https://twitter.com/wilson_georgina
Her Campus magazine