This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Christmas movies are some of the most wholesome movies out there, with each and every one of us having personal favourites that we watch every year to feel the merriment of the Christmas season. So, with that in mind, here is my personal, definitive ranking of the top ten festive films:

Nativity (2009)

My personal all-time favourite: this is a must see every single year (the original one, of course). Martin Freeman perfects the bah humbug Grinch attitude before allowing himself to flourish into the harbinger of Christmas joy. Mr Poppy, played by the hilarious Marc Wootton, epitomises the childish excitement that inhabits so many during this season. Between the chaos that occurs after Freeman’s teensy tiny lie and the loveable soundtrack, this Christmas classic will quickly find the festive spirit within you.

Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer (1998)

This movie defined every Christmas throughout my childhood. Its animation is beautifully classic, and the storyline sees well-known seasonal characters come to life and interact with one another. There’s a magical influence in the movie, from the Sprites of the Northern Lights to the Wicked Ice Queen and her enchanting talents. There are some cracking songs as well – whilst we all know Rudolph’s song, the Ice Queen performs a particularly groovy number about her hatred for Santa Claus – it’s an ear-worm that always wiggles its way back into my brain in December!

Love Actually (2003)

“At Christmas you tell the truth”, and the truth is that Love Actually is an iconic Christmas film, holding so many of the most memorable Christmas scenes of the 21st century. Whether it is Emma Thompson’s tear-jerking heartbreak, Hugh Grant’s legendary dance, or Thomas Brodie-Sangster’s breath-taking airport dash, this movie continuously supplies us with moments that truly capture the emotions surrounding the 25th of December. From the creators of Notting Hill, and Four Weddings and a Funeral, it is no surprise that this film is so successful in celebrating so many forms of love.

The Holiday (2006)

Continuing the theme of Romantic Comedies that double as festive films, The Holiday has it all: a star-studded cast, a sincere wholesomeness, and a delightfulness that lends itself to cosying up on the sofa with a hot chocolate. Whether it’s the quaintness that encapsulates Kate Winslet’s countryside cottage, or the relationship she develops with her neighbour whilst holidaying in Los Angeles, there is an undeniable sweetness to be enjoyed in every turn of this movie.

Arthur Christmas (2011)

Again, a biased and nostalgia filled choice, Arthur Christmas is a film that my siblings and I have watched every Christmas since its release. We see the Christmas family prepare for the retirement of Father Christmas and the possible succession of his eldest son, but upon the realisation that one present has missed the sleigh and a child will be waking up without a gift from Santa, Arthur takes it upon himself to deliver this present. Along with the talented Elf Bryony, Arthur and his grandfather take a tumultuous trip to England. Arthur helps bring joy to the little girl Gwen, as well as audiences at home.

Home Alone (1990)

It has been a while since Macaulay Culkin has graced my screen during December, mainly due to dramatically over watching Home Alone during my childhood, but this Christmas classic is undeniably a family favourite. How many people find themselves wishing one another “Merry Christmas ya filthy animal”? Kevin McCallister’s crazy schemes to keep the burglars out of his almost-abandoned house allows an amusing yet somewhat violent climax of the movie, keeping us on our toes throughout.

The Snowman (1982)

As the Christmas season approaches each year, you’re sure to see Raymond Briggs’ The Snowman grace your television. Its artistry is universally recognisable as we watch the Snowman come to life and see the adventure he takes young Jameson on as they journey across the world to visit the North Pole. Perhaps most significantly characterised by its melodic soundtrack, in particular ‘Walking in the air’, a song we probably all parodied when we were younger, this movie is sweet and simple and certainly deserves its place on this list.

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

Following Jack Frost in his quest to become an official guardian, this movie is one that can be watched all year round, but with an extra layer of joy when watched in the chilly weather. In accordance with all the movies on this Christmas list, there is a wholesomeness and childlike glee that accompanies this tale, highlighting the need for hope and light in what is, quite literally, the darkest time of the year.

Chalet Girl (2011)

Whilst also technically not a Christmas movie, the overwhelming amount of snow throughout the movie lending itself to a wintry atmosphere allows it to feature in this roundup. Somewhat of a romcom, but more realistically a tale of grief, this movie is both fun and poignant in its depiction of a ski season. Whilst there is the romance between Ed Westwick and Felicity Holmes, I think the truer and more meaningful relationships are the friendships Kim develops during her time in Austria. There are a few moments that are exceptionally cringe-worthy but ultimately it is good one to watch in the Christmas season.

The Muppets Christmas Carol (1992)

In a retelling of Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’, Kermit and Miss Piggy are joined by Michael Caine, providing a poignant story telling the importance of generosity during the most giving time of the year. This family friendly morality tale sees so many iconic characters join together for one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time!

Of course, there are countless other beloved Christmas movies, plus the numerous television specials that we look forward to every year, but for me, these are the 10 films that you simply must see.

Lauren Durose

Bristol '24

A Liberal Arts student whose focus is on English Literature. When there's a free moment, I typically pick up a feminist book, a hockey stick or my earphones. I like sports and entertainment mainly – whether that's hockey or rugby, ballet or musical theatre!