The Five Best Comfort Movies to Watch in Your Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Are you feeling the pressure of adulthood? Searching for solace from the perilous transition from the safety of your teenage years? Here are five films that may offer some guidance, encouragement or comfort:

The graduaTE (1967)

Recent college graduate Benjamin Braddock has no discernible life plan, and is under pressure from his parents to face up to the inevitable loom of adulthood – a predicament familiar to many twenty-somethings. However, whilst being seduced by an older married woman, he falls for her daughter – perhaps less relatable – but this doesn’t detract from the comforting awkwardness of The Graduate. From its muted and mellow colour palette, to the consoling acoustic lull of Simon and Garfunkel’s soundtrack, watching this film may reassure you that at least your post-teenage crisis isn’t as messy as meddling with a MILF.

GOOD WILL HUNTING (1997)

Written by and starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, Good Will Hunting is a psychological drama about a young man who is a genius at maths. However, there’s one equation he can’t quite figure out: himself. When working through his own emotional dilemmas, he reluctantly takes help from a psychiatrist, played by the king of comfort films, Robin Williams. The film touches on several common anxieties amongst young adults, from the likes of love, identity, and dissatisfaction, whilst having a hopeful resolve – promising that things really will work out in the end. Elliott Smith’s Oscar-nominated soundtrack also supports the film greatly, laying out a tender blanket of acoustic embrace.

Almost famous (2000)

Cameron Crowe’s coming-of-age masterpiece plucks on the heartstrings and beats on the kickdrum of the soul. Set in the turbulent and free-wheeling 70s, the film follows 15-year-old aspiring journalist William Miller as he follows a rock band on the road across America. It’s a heartwarming time capsule, glimpsing into the rock’n’roll lifestyle only few were lucky to experience and partnered with (arguably) the best soundtrack of all time. This film is a testament to freedom, discovery, and finding yourself among other empty and aching people with an innate, mutual passion: music.

amélie (2001)

The incredibly imaginative young waitress Amélie Poulain exists quietly in her social bubble but loudly in her own mind. In order to establish human connections, she decides to perform secret acts of kindness on the people around her, steering her down the spiralling path of finding love. With its quirky Parisian setting, assortment of whimsical characters, and deeply rich colour grading, Amélie is a love letter to loneliness, self-confidence, and pushing your own boundaries.

the worst person in the world (2021)

Joachim Trier’s Norwegian ‘dramedy’ is a crucial viewing for anyone struggling with the daunting concept of permanency. The Worst Person in the World documents four years in the life of a young woman in Oslo, from the act of almost cheating, to the grating reality of a dying loved one. Julie ruminates about what she wants to gain out of her work and love life, and in her quest to piece together her existence, this film is driven by an overarching pulse of existentialist doubt. It’s ultimately wistful and plaintive, and accompanied by its fresh and exhilarating cinematography, it’s a must-see for any anxious person in their twenties.

Avalon Vowles

Bristol '24

My name is Avalon and I'm a third year Theatre and Performance student at the University of Bristol. I'm trying to develop my voice as a writer and am particularly interested in music, film, TV, literature, and nature!