This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

So, it’s time to whip out the sports pass that you bought on a whim as a New Year’s resolution. Having amazing gym gear will motivate you to put that membership to use. Plus, if exercising means you get to go shopping, you really have no excuse. Here is some of what the high street has to offer:

Missguided

If online shopping is your thing, Missguided have a great range of sportswear called ‘Active’. There’s something for everyone, from these marble effect leggings (£15) to the more understated grey roll-neck sweatshirt (£25). The collection is reasonably priced, especially as gym gear is worth investing in; no-one wants a rip in their trousers after one workout.

Verdict:

Design – 4/5

Price – 4/5

Practicality – 5/5

Topshop

Topshop now stock a sportswear collection designed by Stella McCartney for Adidas called ‘StellaSport’. The designs are quite unusual, and inevitably more ‘high fashion’, reflecting McCartney’s input. This range would be perfect for girls looking to stand out and make a statement with their workout clothes. Whilst these blue leggings (£39) are so neon they have the ability to make your eyes water, you’ve got to admit that they are brilliantly bold. The Sport Onesie however… slightly ridiculous. And at a whopping £50 it is well beyond our student budgets.

Verdict:

Design – 2/5

Price – 2/5

Practicality – 3/5

H&M

The gym gear on offer at H&M is very sleek and stylish with a monochrome and pink theme. Overall, the collection is extremely well priced, for example these grey and black leggings are £14.99. For those with more to spend, there are items made of better quality fabric that are slightly pricier, such as this quick-dry pink running jacket (£29.99). The only problem with H&M being so accessible is that you might end up on the treadmill next to a girl wearing the same top as you (oh, the horror!) The designs are quite simple and generic, so if you like to stand out look elsewhere.

Verdict:

Design – 3/5

Price – 4/5

Practicality – 5/5

Overall, Missguided have the best sportswear collection out of the three brands in terms of price, design and practicality. The H&M designs are a bit too safe, whereas the StellaSport gear is expensive and nothing extraordinarily fabulous.

The truth is, if you still look good at the end of a gym session, you probably haven’t trained hard enough. But at least your funky leggings can distract people from the buckets of sweat pouring from your forehead… #Hotmess

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine