Shows Coming to Bristol Theatres in 2022!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Home to the Bristol Old Vic, the oldest continuously-working theatre in the English-speaking world, it’s no surprise that Bristol has long been a hub for up-and-coming theatre productions.

And this year is no different, as a successful run of Dr Semmelweis kicked off the new year with a bang! Aside from that, here are a few more shows coming to the Bristol Old Vic’s stage to look out for.

Wonder boy – Bristol Old Vic

5 March – 26 March

Bristol Old Vic / Youtube

Bristol Old Vic’s spring season of new writing continues with its production of Wonder Boy. Written by rising star Ross Willis and directed by the Olivier-award-winning Sally Cookson, Wonder Boy is set to transport its audience – hearing and d/Deaf alike. Filled with playful humour and live music, it is an honest and heart-breaking production which follows the story of Sonny: a twelve-year-old with a stammer. He creates a comic book hero to help him escape from his difficult reality, but when he is cast in a school production of Hamlet, Sonny finds that the real heroes are much closer than he thought.

What Remains of Us – Bristol Old Vic

3- 12 March

Set away from the Bristol Old Vic’s main stage in the Weston Studio, What Remains of Us tells the fascinating story of Seung-Ki’s relationship with her father, Kwan-Suk, who she has not seen since she was three. Like the captivating stories of state-organised reunions of divided Korean families, Seung-Ki and her father come face to face again. The play explores what can be said after 50 years and if they can rediscover a connection. This show is definitely one to grab tickets for; it’s been described as a remarkably-raw, moving piece of new theatre which is also, at times, absurdly funny.

The Meaning of Zong – Bristol Old Vic

2 April – 7 May

Giles Terera, the critically acclaimed actor, musician and filmmaker better known as Aaron Burr in the UK’s production of Lin Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton, has released his debut play. This is an important story that centres one man’s fight to defend the value of humanity. Two hundred years ago, Olaudah Equiano read the reports of the massacre of 132 Africans thrown overboard on the slave ship, Zong. The Meaning of Zong depicts Equiano teaming up with anti-slavery campaigner Granville Sharp to publicly condemn these actions and to help set in motion events which led to the abolition movement in the UK. If this doesn’t sound convincing enough, it was a hit earlier this year as a radio play, aired on Radio Three as part of the BBC’s ‘Lights Up’.

Next, I recommend checking out the following shows on at The Tobacco Factory – not only do they have a great range of touring and in-house plays but the venue itself also has a rustic, industrial feel to it.

First Time – The tobacco Factory

11 – 12 March

First Time is not only the latest piece of theatre to come to The Tobacco Factory but it is also a critically acclaimed ‘hilarious’ and ‘heart-breaking’ autobiographical show about growing up positive in a negative world. From award-winning HIV-positive theatre-maker Nathaniel Hall (yes, from It’s a Sin!) and Dibby Theatre, Nathanial finally shares the secret he’s been keeping all these years. He can’t seem to forget about his first time.  

Oh Mother – The tobacco Factory

21 – 25 June

What more is there to say – Rashdash co-produced this, so if it’s anything like the award-winning Three Sisters it’s going to be beautifully captivating. Oh Mother explores the process of becoming a mother, and especially how transformative it is to take care of someone else.  

Additionally, if you’re in the mood for something different and quirky, set in a smaller and more intimate theatre, check out The Wardrobe Theatre’s new season of shows.

En-ger-land – the Wardrobe Theatre

22 – 23 March

Set in 1997, this show follows 13-year-old Lizzie as she goes to her first football game: Coventry vs. Manchester City. Lizzie falls in love with the game that day but after something happens in the stands that makes her question her place, she is left hesitant. ENG-ER-LAND is an energetic play which explores who’s really on your team.  

Shuga Fix vs Ilumnati – the Wardrobe Theatre

1 – 2 April

Described as a ‘satirical black comedy that explores the dark absurdity of conspiracy theories, our treatment of celebrities, and the rise of fear culture’ Shuga Fix vs Ilumnati focuses on one girlband’s mission against the satanic inner circle. This new comedy from Guttersnipe Theatre and Poppy Pedder is a glitter-filled, outrageously silly, and a ‘high-camp antidote for these strange times’.

Wardrobe Theatre/ Youtube

Bristol is of course home to a great student theatre scene, what with the Bristol Old Vic Theatre school and Bristol Uni’s DramSoc and new writing society Spotlight. These shows are student written and tend to be very topical, so they are definitely something to check out. Here are a few upcoming student theatre productions to look out for.

The Art of Grief – The Pegg Theatre

10 – 12 March

DramSoc’s latest venture is The Art of Grief, written and directed by talented student Aké Kibona. Performed at the University’s Pegg Theatre, The Art of Grief explores how Isabel and Mark navigate their marriage whilst fighting through the cycle of grief as they both mourn two separate deaths. More details on Spotlight’s New Writing Festival will be coming out soon, so be sure to keep an eye out!

Bristol Old Vic student season – Bristol Old Vic

13 Jun – 1 July

Finally, if you fancy watching the next Olivia Coleman or Josh O’Connor before their big break, be sure to watch out for the ticket release for the Bristol Old Vic Student Season, which will see the Theatre School’s graduating students perform a blend of classical and contemporary works.

Amy O'Mahony

Bristol '24

Amy is a final year Theatre and English Student. She also is an aspiring culture and lifestyle writer!!