She’s A Lady – H&M’s New Body Positivity Advert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Everyone seems to think that they have a say on what exactly it means or should mean to be a lady. Heck, even songs have been written about it (let’s not forget the 1971 hit “She’s a Lady” by Tom Jones), women are paraded on TV in their underwear, silent but pretty, some are made to smile meekly at the camera, not a frown in sight and we’re even told exactly  how we should dress, behave and act. (Photo Credit: www.metro.co.uk)

But for once I’m not about to go on a 500 word tirade of anger against the patriarchy. Oh no, instead I have something even more exciting to shout about. H&M’s new Autumn advert. And my God is it a complete corker.

Set to a new version of “She’s a Lady”, H&M’s new campaign is all about hair, curves and gender positivity. It’s so refreshing to see a massive brand saying that it’s ok to have body hair, it’s ok to not fit the norm, it’s ok not to be a model. It’s all completely ok.

Encouraging women to break away from the social norms and be fierce and independent the advert includes shots of Jillian Hervey picking food from her teeth in a fancy restaurant, another of a woman confidently walking into a male dominated boardroom whilst a girl sits on the subway with her legs open in another scene. To the lyrics of Tom Jones’ song: “She’s the kind I like to flaunt and take to dinner…but she always knows her place,” we see women behaving badly and doing whatever they hell they want. It’s a masterpiece.

(Photo Credit: www.metro.co.uk)

Celebrating entertaining, opinionated and free-willed women, the ad features trans actress Hari Nef, 72 year old Lauren Hutton, and model Adwoa Aboah, displaying a wonderful and inspirational variety of women from all walks of life. Finally we are seeing an advert about real women wearing real clothes, so it is not a surprise then that the internet is going absolutely crazy over it. With the #ladylike now trending, it’s exciting to see women taking back the control over their image and rather than trying to place another set of rules on women’s behaviour H&M are saying the exact opposite: Do whatever you want, be whoever you want and don’t let anybody tell you differently.

It’s time to redefine the term “ladylike” and finally, finally let the objects become the subjects. Cheers to that.

Ilka Kemp - Hall is Features Editor of HC Bristol. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine