Seven Music Videos to Watch After “Lemonade”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Beyonce’s Lemonade has drawn attention to the success and effectiveness of visual companions to music. From the album artwork to accompanying photobooks like Drake’s Views, the aesthetic aspect of a music release can be vital to its success. Here are seven beautifully constructed music videos which perfectly compliment their audio companions.

Garden City Movement: Move On

Israeli trio Garden City Movement’s “Move On” is a wandering, intimate ballad. This beautifully shot music video compliments hushed vocals and warm bass with pastel colours and a minimalist aesthetic. Chilled synths and an overall dreamy sound match this softly lit testament to young love and loss.

Rihanna: Needed Me

Released last month, “Needed Me” is directed by Harmonie Korine, primarily known for his work on films including Spring Breakers, Gummo, and Larry King’s cult Kids. Filmed almost entirely in a surreal slow motion, the video juxtaposes violence and nudity with hazy synths and gentle, rumbling bass.

Famous Eno: “Gangsters”

Dubbed a “Dancehall Banger” by Dazed, “Gangsters” is a grimy collaboration between producer and DJ Famous Eno, and MCs A Game, Serocee and Fox, hailing from Jamaica, Birmingham and Manchester respectively. The video follows two crooked police officers in London in a darkly comedic address of police brutality and a subversion of traditional ideas of Gangsters. Filmed on a tight budget, this video is a remarkable achievement.

Florence and the Machine: Third Eye

Florence’s latest release How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful has been accompanied by a collection of cinematic music videos. The ninth and final instalment accompanies “Third Eye, the end to a dramatic odyssey through Florence’s life. Filmed in one shot, the video sees Welch marching through the streets of LA , confronting her demons for the final time in a display of catharsis.

Carly Rae Jepsen: Boy Problems

Light hearted and fun, “Boy Problems” is a cute, colourful and sparkly video. Directed by photographer and designer Petra Collins, “Boy Problems” was premiered by Rookiemag and features Tavi Gevinson. Collins’ photography is a refreshing look at youth and beauty, and her distinct artistic style permeates the entire video. Even if you weren’t a fan of “Call Me Maybe”, “Boy Problems” is worth a watch.

Gaika: Buta

“Buta” is a standout track from London’s electronic-dancehall-punk-rap artist Gaika’s new mixtape. Exploring the themes of death, hedonism and vengeance, “Buta” is a dark and trippy release. Influenced by 80s anime, film noir and the work of filmmaker Gaspar Noe, the music video is an eclectic mix of genres and styles.

Grimes: Kill V. Maim

Grimes’ music videos are always energetic and action packed, and “Kill V. Maim”, a popular favourite from her new album Art Angels, is no different. All neon lights and bright, cartoon-like colours, “Kill V. Maim” is a cyberpunk sci-fi thriller come to life. The video features Claire Boucher as a gang leader, driving around in a Mad Max style flying car, and later donning a pair of black wings, a signature feature in a number of her other videos. “Kill V. Maim” might be a far cry from the style of her older work, but the music video is still a quintessential depiction of who Grimes is.

Tash is the deputy lifestyle editor of Her Campus Bristol. She is a second year English student hailing from Landan town - Her favourite pastimes include browsing the internet looking for her summer holiday destinations and walking everywhere. She enjoys interior design and thinking about space.
Her Campus magazine