This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Face masks have become a staple in our wardrobes, mainly because we can’t leave the house without one! And although at first we needed time to get used to them, it is extremely important to protect ourselves and others. It is now mandatory to wear a mask or a face covering in most public places in the UK.

Maksim Goncharenok via Pexels

1. How do masks work?

Masks serve as a wall to help prevent respiratory droplets contaminating the air, or, you getting contaminated. They have proven to stop the spread of the virus by up to 80%.

2. What types of face masks are there?

When talking about masks, we can clearly distinguish between medical and cloth masks.

Medical masks​ include surgical masks (the typical blue ones that have been here since the beginning).

pros:​ These masks are proven to be most effective. This is why they are not recommended for civilians; that way they are available for front line workers. Also, if you are travelling and don’t have access to a washing machine, these masks are the way to go! Packs of 50 masks cost around 9 pounds!

cons:​ However, the reason these masks are so cheap it’s because they are disposable, so, in the long term, you end up emptying out the box in less than a month. In addition, they lack personality. Although now you can buy them in other colours like black or pink, they end up making you blend in with the crowd.

Next we have ​cloth masks​. These are the ones made from pieces of fabric, that could or could not have a filter as well.

pros:​ By being reusable they are better for the environment and since you can make them with any fabric you want, not only you are protecting yourself and others, but you are also showcasing your personality to the world!

cons:​ These are not the most effective ones against viral load, so they are not recommended for key workers.

Photo by Vera Davidova on Unsplash

Due to the shortage of masks at the beginning of the pandemic, tutorials on how to make your own mask became trending on social media. And like all art, fashion has learnt to adapt. Besides being a useful accessory, fashion labels and small businesses have stepped on the trend by designing their own face masks.

3. How to take care of masks and dispose of them.

Now that we have all of our options in mind, it’s time to learn how to look after them. (Remember that surgical masks cannot be washed and should be thrown away once they look damaged or dirty!)

Reusable masks made out of cotton can be washed either by hand or in your regular washing machine. Once they are clean, it’s time to let them dry. You can do this by placing them in a hot dryer or letting them air dry.

Another important step is learning how to properly store them while we are not using them. If YOU are out with your friends for lunch you can keep your face masks in a paper or fabric bag (or wrapped in breathable material). Remember to always wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before and after touching them!

Tip: Before you dispose of your masks, cut the straps off so animals don’t get stuck in them if they end up on the ocean!

4. Some ideas for your masks!

If we are going to be safe, why don’t we take the opportunity to support independent businesses in the process?

Here are some ideas :

Bristol’s ‘Retailer of the Year’ 2020: ​Eclectic Gift Shop​ is home to Bristol-based independent artists! They make super cute handmade masks and they also ship worldwide! See their Instagram here

Milliners’ Guild​ is also a Bristol based business, they handmake their masks and have a large variety of options. You can also buy a donation mask to support keyworkers or charities for those who can’t afford them. See their Instagram here

Leave Amazon behind: Etsy is now your best friend! You can find thousands of different patterns and styles, all made by independent artists! There’s such a wide range for sale, with variations to suit all styles. Why not support an independent business over a massive corporation like Amazon?

And remember, masks are important but so is following government guidelines, washing your hands and keeping social distance.

2 Year Psychology student at the Univeristy of Bristol
Her Campus magazine