My “Movember” Adventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, drunk in The Blue Lagoon in late October. I drew a moustache on my face for a laugh and everyone said it looked good; my friend even wanted one! This, and the fact that I need to raise £1400 by May next year so I can cycle from London to Paris for FoodCycle, gave rise to the idea of doing ‘Movember’.

Obviously it’s not really Movember, because the moustache is drawn on with eyeliner, and I’m not raising money for testicular cancer, but why shouldn’t I join in with the fun if it’s still for charity? There is a female version called Decembeaver or Fanuary or something, but I’m not exactly going to post pictures of my hairy lady area on Facebook- that sort of thing gets you banned.

I’ve been doing this since November the first and so far I’ve raised over £200. The idea is the more people donate the bigger the moustache gets- if it goes really well by the end of the month the thing will cover my entire face. I can’t wait for November to be over now, because although it is fun, my boyfriend would also really like his girlfriend back (apparently I ‘don’t look that sexy’ with a moustache).

So please donate; FoodCycle is a really good charity, we take donated food and turn it into nutritious meals for people at risk of food poverty. I help by cooking for them, and I also cycled from London to Brighton in September to raise £100 for them. This time the target is higher though! The cycling shouldn’t be too bad, it’s the raising money I need to focus on!

If you’re interested, you can follow the progress of my moustache on Facebook and Twitter, and you can donate here.

Please give generously!

Postgraduate researcher in Chemistry, blogger ( st3reo1som3r.wordpress.com) keen twitterer ( @st3reo1som3r ) generally interested in most stuff, bored by boring people. I have bipolar affective disorder which can sometimes make me come over as a bit of a twat, I am a nice person though really. If I insult you, it's because I'm manic; don't take it personally :) I hope you all enjoy my writing. Thanks!