ClimateChange HeroImage Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ClimateChange HeroImage Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Jenna Freitas | Her Campus Media Design Team
Culture > News

Mason Greenwood: Will the Consequence Ever Fit the Crime?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

T.W. rape, sexual assault, and violence towards women.

In the past year, the media has finally given a partial voice to female SA and domestic abuse survivors; both the Sarah Everard and Ashling Murphy cases prompted protests across the country. But, with this slight progression, there is a temptation to fall into a false sense of security and support. The media and the wider public remain silent on abuse of women of colour, disabled women and the LGBTQ+ community. Voices are only heard when people want to hear them, and we continue to further see this in the football community. With Mason Greenwood’s recent arrest, it appears to be time to take a stand between the toxic culture of football and domestic and sexual assault, because if not now, when?

On Sunday the 30th January, Mason Greenwood, a 20-year-old footballer for Manchester United who previously played for England, was arrested for rape and assault. This was before being further arrested on the following Tuesday on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill. The police released a statement saying they have seen, ‘social media images and videos by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.’ This woman is believed to have been Greenwood’s partner at the time, who shall remain nameless in respect for their privacy in this difficult time.

Consequently, Greenwood has been dropped by Nike, with them releasing the statement, ‘We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood. We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.’ Greenwood has also been suspended from playing or training with Manchester United until further notice. However, Greenwood is still getting paid.

Innocent until proven guilty is a vital procedure. However, Greenwood’s occupation contains a responsibility, unlike most jobs. This is because of his fame and notoriety, and therefore his image is inescapable. He still is innocent until proven guilty, but similarly, his victims are telling the truth until proven otherwise. Is it fair for them to not only have to see his face everywhere but also be reminded that the only consequence he is facing now is not being able to play? He is still getting paid thousands as a Manchester United player, and whilst understandably he still needs to get paid, surely there should be a pay cut that can be compensated until he is charged or freed?

Nevertheless, it is arguable why he has even been suspended for the accused crimes. In Scotland, David Goodwillie, a convicted rapist in a civil court trial, was hired by Raith Rovers even after the case and accusations had taken place. Consequently, the suspension of Greenwood does not bring much hope to female sexual and domestic assault survivors when even if he is convicted, he could continue to play a high-earning, high-publicity sport. This would make him inescapable to his victims who would have already suffered from the domestic and sexual abuse accused, but now also from the highly publicised trial.

Maheta Molongo, the chief of the leading footballers union, had this to say when asked about Goodwillie’s controversial hire: ‘Legally speaking can someone who has done his time, work in general? I would say yes, legally. Is it the morally right thing to do? I have my own opinion, but I am not here to say that.’ Molongo’s disputable statement does not consider the main difference between this case and most cases – the subject is a convicted rapist being allowed into a position of power, wealth and publicity. Lawfully, it is illegal to do many jobs with a criminal record; it is even illegal to enter some countries. Why should a job with such media attention such as football be any different? Especially when hiring a man such as Goodwellie more harm than good is done?

Following Greenwood’s arrest, a letter from the feminist group Level Up, the End Violence Against Women Campaign and the Three Hijabis, was sent to the CEOs of the football association and the Premier League. This letter states, ‘This week has seen football make the headlines for all the wrong reasons. It is clear that our beautiful game has an ugly underside when it comes to violence against women […] It’s time for the FA and Premier League to confront a culture of gender-based violence.’ This gender-based violence is not only evident in its players and priorities, but in its fans also. In a Lancaster University Study from 2013, there is evidence that abuse cases rise by 26% when England won or drew a match, whilst increasing by 38% if England lost a match. Of course, these statistics do not look at gender. Despite this, during the Euros of 2021, the number of people referred to the National Centre for Domestic Violence for protective court orders rose by over 400 compared to the previous 5 weeks. Out of these cases, 90% were women.

For a game beloved by the country, it does not appear to show the same love for its fans. Women are being let down by organisations such as the Premier League. In the year of 2022, there is hope for change, but this cannot be done until the problem is properly acknowledged by the institutions that commit it. Will we see this with the Mason Greenwood case? Only time will tell if women receive justice, or if we get another David Goodwillie.

she/her I'm Charlotte, though most people call me Charli. I am currently studying English BA.