CPL Sections DESK?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections DESK?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Important Life Lessons For Your 20s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

I’ve always heard that your 20s are the best years of your life. Having turned 20 last month, I can’t really comment on whether this is really the case. Regardless, there are some things that are understandably important life lessons for your 20s. Here are some of the things I have already learnt, as well as some things that I am looking forward to learning in my 20s.

Important life lessons for your 20s (that I’ve learnt in the past month):

• Do What Makes You Happy

There is nothing more important in life, and especially your 20s, than focusing on happiness. The best degree, job, or house will only make you happy to a certain extent. Happiness is something that stems from within, and is not something that can be influenced by external factors. The route to being happy resides inside of you, and you’re the only one who can discover and understand it. So, do what makes you happy.

• The Only Person You Have To Live With Is Yourself, So Learn To Love Her

This applies regardless of whether you live alone, with a partner or with friends. Living with yourself is all about learning to truly love yourself for who you are. This is all part of being in tune with yourself (something that should extend beyond your 20s). 

• Spend Some Time Each Day Doing Something That Enriches Your Soul

Even if it’s just for 1 minute. You could listen to a favourite song or read your favourite poem. 

• Failure Is The Key To Success (be it academic, in your career, or in your relationships)

A key lesson to learn in your 20s is that failure is not negative, it is merely something you can learn from and enables you to be better equipped for future successes. Learning from failure ensures that you are in a position in future to be proud of any and all successes, however small they may seem.

• Admitting When You Need And Deserve To Make Changes In Your Life

Your 20s is THE decade to admit to yourself that there are things you need to change, and that you deserve to make these changes in your life to help you on your way to becoming the best version of yourself. Examples of these changes include: cutting out toxic friends, or saying ‘no’ to invites that fill you with dread.

• You Were Always Meant To Be Who You Are Now

There is no rhyme and reason to life. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or something more. But there is no denying it. You are exactly the person you were always meant to be. Your choices leading up to this point (both good and bad) led you to this version of yourself. Your 20s is the decade to accept that you were both always meant to be who you are now, and who you will be in the future. 

Important life lessons for your 20s (that I’m looking forward to learning):

• It’s totally okay if your dreams change (they can do, just as you will!)
  • Experiences mean more in the long run than material things
  • Trust your intuition, it is usually on your side 
  • Don’t compare yourself to others
  • Move on from the past
  • Your comfort zone is not something that you necessarily have to step out of: it is completely up to you. There’s nothing wrong with staying in your comfort zone (it’s a comfort zone for a reason 💖)

If you’ve made it this far, I hope that these life lessons, both that I have learnt, and am yet to learn, have provided you with some hope and excitement for your 20s. Ultimately, your 20s are a period for self-love, soul-searching, and a time for amazing opportunities. You can do anything you want to. To quote a well-known phrase, in your 20s, “the world is your oyster”.

Annabel Spink

Bristol '23

Third year Religion and Theology student who's obsessed with writing and reading. An absolute lover of stories, the colour green, and finding magic in the mundane.