Wellness

How to break the cycle of Toxic Productivity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

We all have super busy times in our lives (especially while at uni), but sometimes it is very easy to fall victim to something called: Toxic Productivity. This is the desire for productivity at all times, resulting in this productivity being at the expense of everything else such as hobbies and relationships

My to-do list sometimes feels like it’s 7 weeks long. And it sometimes feels like it will never get shorter. I am, however, lucky enough to realise how to conquer it in the most productive and healthy way possible. For those of you still struggling with toxic productivity, I’ve got a few pieces of advice that should help you distance yourself and break the toxic productivity cycle. 

A to-do list is the way to success. A to-to list is the go-to for all those pesky tasks that pop up in your brain that you know you won’t remember in 10 minutes time. Therefore, I like to have a teeny tiny notebook (or the Notes app in my phone) on hand at all times to make sure that I am never forgetting anything. 

Initially, that doesn’t sound too much like a remedy for toxic productivity, but a to-do list does not have to be for work priorities alone. Part of that list should be tasks that look after yourself. If a to-do list works for you to complete your work tasks, it should be a relatively simple transition to hold yourself accountable for both the things you have to do and for being kind to yourself through this list. Boundaries and healthy expectations are productive!

Also, being productive is not overworking! Being productive is going out for pizza, movie nights, and rewarding the work you do. Being productive is using the time you’ve allocated to attack that to-do list and holding yourself accountable for what you can do, not what you ought to do. 

How to break the toxic productivity cycle:

1. You have to recognise your toxic productivity habits. (Some examples to help you identify: you realise you haven’t stepped outside today, you haven’t stood up in 10 hours, you haven’t spoken to anyone (about anything other than work) all day).
  2. Take regular breaks (Life is not all about working! It’s super easy to fall into the mindset of : you live to work rather than you work to live). 
  3. Ask friends and family to hold you accountable for the other priorities in your life (non-work related) – make plans to get out of your work bubble to spend time with them.
  4. Don’t have emails on your phone (or if you do, turn off notifications so that your evenings are YOURS).
  5. Positive self-talk and affirmations. You are always your harshest critic, but it doesn’t have to be that way. You treat friends with kindness and patience and you deserve that same kindness. Try speaking your affirmations aloud and even noting them down to reflect on throughout the day. (Example: I am trying my best and my best is always good enough. I am proud of the work I have completed and the work that I will complete but never at the expense of the things that mean most to me: my family etc.). 

Finally, 

Remember, you’re a human being, you’re not a robot! Setting healthy expectations for yourself is productive as you know you’re making the most of your working time, but also the most of your ‘me’ time. 

face mask self care?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media
Annabel Spink

Bristol '23

Third year Religion and Theology student who's obsessed with writing and reading. An absolute lover of stories, the colour green, and finding magic in the mundane.