HC Abroad: Lucy’s Semester in LA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

I applied to do a study abroad in America on the last day of applications, on a whim. I went through the whole process thinking that the dream would never actually come true, that I would never actually uproot and move to LA. A couple of months later and here I am in sunny California, with not a cloud or raindrop in sight, and yet also with not a clue about America.

First impressions? In California everything is bigger, the people are friendlier and life itself has taken a more laid back turn. Walk into a shop and the cashier will flash you a genuine smile and do everything they can to help you. There are tubs of ice cream bigger than your face and Reese’s-Pieces-flavoured-Oreos.

Note – For any Americans reading this, neither of those things are in any way guaranteed across the pond.

There are infinite opportunities for a culture-hungry mind; LA is a bilingual city which offers high-class literary events, art galleries next door to the Guinness World Record Museum and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. As someone with newfound independence and a desire to throw herself into life, I think I’m in the right place.

If like me you have just taken the giant leap across the Pond, you may join me in my bucket list of all things American (some of which are admittedly more cultured than others):

1.     Watch the sunset over the Hollywood Sign.

2.     Pop my ‘Target’ cherry and take a trip to the megastore.

3.     Get my first ‘In-n-Out’ burger, animal style.

4.     Go to see an American football game, and actually try to understand what is going on.

5.     Visit Disneyworld.

6.     Take an All-American road trip, eating donut burgers the whole time (yes, those exist).

7.     Visit at least some of the museums LA offers.

8.     Watch a movie at a drive-in theater, because why would you walk somewhere when you can sit in your car the whole time?

9.     Attend a frat party.

10.  Cross the Golden-Gate Bridge.

11.  Drink from a red cup (actually known to Americans as a ‘Solo’ cup, not a red cup – who knew??).

12.  Go to all the beaches and all the cities I can – Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, San Francisco, San Diego, Manhattan Beach, Yosemite National Park, Lake Tahoe… Some of the most amazing and diverse places in the world are but a stone’s throw away, you’d be a fool not to try as many as you can!

With a list like this, how could I not have the best four months ever?