oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Feminism During Awards Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Over the past week, there has been genuine outrage on social media about Greta Gerwig’s Oscar snub. And rightly so, after the Oscars claiming this week they are in fact interested in its nominees “brand”, it would seem, Gerwig, who has produced LadyBird and Little Women within the last few years, bringing new names and a case for the young complex female character into cinema, that her “brand” is not only distinct but consistent, purposeful and for many of us empowering. However, this is, unfortunately, a new motion from a post-millennial generation interested in championing a refreshing alternative to the unrealistic, and frankly alienating American highschool cliche of clique culture. However, the Oscars clearly do not value this.

Moreover, the twitter trend #OscarsSoWhite is an essential reaction to the obscene lack of racial diversity in the academy. Realistically what we need to accept is this: women are directing films. Women are going to film school, women have stories to tell, and stories that historically have been given less space. The problem is not women, the problem is the academy. It is absurd that the chosen directors again are all-male nominees. What lack of diversity in any institution says, whether that’s commercial, academic, artistic, is that we looked at all options and decided that our group is better than that group. If you believe that men are naturally more equipped to produce award-winning films, you are prejudiced.

Nappy
Let’s create paths for women and women of colour to get there, by having greater representation in the nominators, by understanding that these people are out there and that yes the joker was excellent, but there is space for this, and more. Perhaps we should reject the awards altogether, perhaps awards for art are pointless anyway, and maybe art cannot be rated. Perhaps the academy is no longer standing for what, at least part of the younger generation, are looking for. But equally what could be more powerful is watching the image of the academy change.

Milly Randall

Bristol '21

..
Her Campus magazine