Editor’s Letter: The Truth Behind the Trumpisms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Donald Trump’s presidential election campaign – the laughing stock of the media turned frightening reality. As the laughter has now diminished to a nervous titter, the possibility of Trump’s taking the White House has become an actual possibility.

The most outlandish and provocative quotes of Trump’s election campaign have featured prominently in the media. Indeed, it’s no news now that Trump is a headline waiting to happen. At a glance, some of the best (by which I mean most terrible, of course) include:

“I’m the worst thing that’s ever happened to ISIS” (to Barbara Walters in Dec 2015)

“I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.” (Jun 2015)

“I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose voters” (Jan 2016)

“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever” (Aug 2015).

Trump is the champion of the short quip; spouting controversial, newsworthy sound bites with ease. Sometimes he even likes to reiterate his full stops, just to enforce his short quippiness,“The Second Amendment to our Constitution is clear. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed upon. Period.”

The problem is that while it is baffling for some that Trump can get away with racism, misogyny, homophobia and violent tendencies in a democratic election, for others claims like the above are proving to be compelling stuff. Having won seven states in Super Tuesday, Trump is currently leading the Republican nominees with a total of 329 delegates, with Cruz behind him at 231. And how? The simple power of rhetoric.

Trump’s practiced way with words should come as no surprise however. If you didn’t know, Trump is also a bestselling writer of instructional literature and autobiography. There are no less than 16 Trump Publications, in which the businessman has offered his two cents (and then some) on America, the business world and the key to individual success. His cult of personality has been on the rise for some time then.

A read of these reveals how the salesman has perfected his Donald Trumpisms:

“Controversy, in short, sells.” (The Art of the Deal, 1987)

“My style of deal-making is quite simple and straightforward. I aim very high, and then I just keep pushing and pushing and pushing to get what I’m after.” (The Art of the Deal, 1987)

“The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you.” (The Art of the Deal, 1987)

“There’s nothing I love more than women, but they’re really a lot different than portrayed. They are far worse than men, far more aggressive … ” (The Art of the Comeback, 1997)

“What would I do in North Korea? Fair question. It’s easy to point out the problem, but what should be done to solve it? Am I ready to bomb this reactor? You’re damned right.” (The America we Deserve, 2000)

“My motto is: Always get even. When somebody screws you, screw them back in spades.” (Think BIG and Kick Ass in Business and Life, 2007)

“I use the media the way the media uses me—to attract attention. Once I have that attention, it’s up to me to use it to my advantage.” (Midas Touch, 2011)

“I like to think of the word FOCUS as Follow One Course Until Successful.” (Midas Touch, 2011)

“A brand is two words: the ‘Promise’ you telegraph, and the ‘Experience’ you deliver.” (Midas Touch, 2011)

“Building a brand may be more important than building a business.” (Midas Touch, 2011)

“If you have laws that you don’t enforce, then you don’t have laws. This leads to lawlessness.” (Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again, 2015)

In effect, Trump has been brainwashing his followers for the past 30 years. This election is no different to one of his pithy, provocative books, which play in to the idea of the American Dream, the individual striking it big and becoming great. This is Trump’s biggest deal to date and he’s going to push and push and push. Let’s just hope the US remembers the truth behind the Trumpisms – he’s told us more than once that he is the master of empty claims, after all.

I leave you with one more from Trump:

“The worst things in history have happened when people stop thinking for themselves and listen to other people and, even worse, start following other people. That’s what gives rise to dictators.” (Think Like a Champion: An Informal Education in Business and Life, 2009)

Period. 

– Ella XO

Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.