This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Describe yourself in three words

Passionate, inquisitive, imperfect

What are your interests, what do you like to do in your free time?

I’m really interested in politics and what’s going on in the world. I’m a massive news junkie, but I also like to just sit outside in the sun playing cards with my flatmates. I’m learning Portuguese in my free time, as my girlfriend is Brazilian. I’m also enjoying watching the Six Nations with friends at the moment and praying that France defeat Ireland to give England a win.

Nick & Mariana

Where would you like to be in 5 years time?

I want to be working in a job where I feel like I’m making a difference and not just turning up for a salary. I’d like to live somewhere like Bristol, or maybe Brighton, or somewhere else that begins with ‘br’. And I’d like to be living with someone I love.

What three things would you take to a desert island?

Although she isn’t a thing, I would like to take my girlfriend Mariana. I’d also take a boat, because whilst islands are lovely I wouldn’t want to live there forever. And sailing is fun. I’d take my ipad as well, since I struggle to function without some kind of connection to the rest of the world.

What are you most attracted to in a woman?

Compassion. I think the thing that really gets me is when someone smiles it makes you incredibly happy and when they’re sad you’re just overwhelmed by it: it’s that ability to inspire emotion. Which I guess is really just a close emotional connection. Intelligence, someone who I can talk to about anything. Someone who is understanding when I get a bit complicated, and someone who is really passionate about what they care about. All of these things are reasons why I love my girlfriend.

What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done?

I’m not sure if this is romantic, but it’s the thing that gave me the most romantic feelings. I was going to show Mariana around the grounds of Goldney and that turned into showing her around Clifton, which turned into going to the suspension bridge and really getting to know one another. That was not so much a gesture, but it was when I really fell for someone and finally had an excuse to spend more time together.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I’m not sure if I can still do this, but I used to be very good at gardening. I used to grow vegetables and flowers for competitions in my village. I was quite good at flower arranging, I won the award for the children’s competition in the village each year, which sucked for my sister who also entered! 

If you could have a beer with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?

I think Napoleon’s really interesting. There have been very few people that have had that much ambition and left that much of a mark on the world. I also imagine that he would provide a pretty good selection of drinks. Having said that, my French is not what it could be, so conversation might be a little difficult.

Nick & Mariana’s amazing Halloween costumes!

Are there any powerful women you really admire?

Yes, lots! The first person that comes to mind is Margaret Thatcher. Although she was someone really divisive she was also our first female prime minister, which happened quite a bit earlier than it might have done in England. Hillary Clinton as well, particularly given the toxic, aggressive environment in American politics; a lot of the attacks on her seem to be made just because she’s a woman.

Closer to home, I also really admire my mother. Her and my dad used to do exactly the same job, it always seems odd to me that there should be restrictions on women when my parents met by my mother filling in the job that my dad used to do, for more money. I also admire a lot of my teachers, pretty much all of the best teachers I’ve ever had have been women. It’s in a big way down to my history teacher from secondary school that I’m so interested in politics. There are powerful women everywhere, I have an excellent female doctor and the best teacher I’ve had at Bristol is also a woman. 

Finally, do you have any exciting plans for the summer?

YES! I’m flying out to Rio and will be spending my summer there. I’m really excited to see Mariana again, it’s going to be the first time I’ve been to the southern hemisphere (or South America), and it just looks incredible. I’m also quite looking forward to the idea of being able to live somewhere rather than just be in a hotel, and the challenges of the language will be very interesting.

Rashina

Bristol

Rashina Gajjar is a student, writer, and editor-in-chief of Globe Of Love, a website she founded in 2014. She speaks three and a half languages (English, French, Spanish, and a dash of Italian) and is extremely fond of travelling and learning new things. In her spare time, she enjoys running, socialising, inventing semi-healthy desserts, and writing about self-imrovement and empowerment. If you would like to connect with her, she can be reached at the following addresses: Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/rashinagajjarInstagram: https://instagram.com/rashinagajjar/Her website: www.globeoflove.com