Billy Joel’s Comeback – A Review of “Turn the Lights Back On”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Released on February 1st 2024, “Turn the Lights Back On” is the legendary singer, songwriter, and pianist’s comeback song. His first original piece in 17 years. The song was written by Billy Joel himself, alongside Freddy Wexler, Arthur Bacon, and Wayne Hector. It serves as a testament to Joel’s extensive history of compassionate love ballads and serves as an introspective nod to the fans who have been waiting patiently for new music from the ‘Piano Man’.

The announcement of his new song came shortly after the news that Joel will be ending his 10-year residency at Madison Square Garden in July 2024, which will mark his 150th show at the arena. In light of this, the single appears to be a contemplative farewell to his residency, whilst doubly proving his gratitude to the thousands of fans who have supported his life’s work so far.

“But I see you now/As were laying here in the darkness/Did I wait too long to turn the lights back on?”

Permeated with lyrics of remorse, appearing like a plea for forgiveness, and underscored by wistful seventh chords, ‘Turn the Lights Back On’ is not a shabby comeback. Joel’s immutable voice has stood the test of time and sounds truthfully homogeneous to his vintage self. Although it’s easy to immediately dismiss the modern comebacks of legacy acts, Joel proves that they are worth lending an ear to, just like the Rolling Stones’ recent recording resurgence with Hackney Diamonds.

Joel’s songwriting abilities haven’t entirely fluctuated over the years. From chord progressions similar to “She’s Always a Woman”, to skillful ivory playing in the piano solo not too disparate from “Vienna”, the record has the timeless charm of Joel’s hits from the past. My only criticism would be the over-produced nature of the single, although it’s understandably impossible to replicate the rich reverberations of 70s Joel.

“I’m late/But I’m here right now.”

As ruminated by Joel himself, it’s better late than never. At the age of 74, this is nevertheless an impressive arrival back and it’s refreshing to hear Joel at a pace which he has mastered. His last studio album release was just over 30 years ago in 1993, River of Dreams. A myriad of fans have recounted over the years that, as a last album, it wasn’t the strong finale many had hoped for a career of this high calibre. So, I’m sure some are pleasantly surprised with this single as an act of redemption.

Ultimately, Billy Joel never fails to impress. He needn’t feel sheepish about his return, for he has continually proved himself as an efficient songwriter and pianist time and time again. Whichever direction he chooses to go from here, I’m sure he can do no wrong.

Avalon Vowles

Bristol '24

My name is Avalon and I'm a third year Theatre and Performance student at the University of Bristol. I'm trying to develop my voice as a writer and am particularly interested in music, film, TV, literature, and nature!