This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Netflix have some seriously cracking content at the moment which can be a life saver when you’re hungover, bored or simply need some chilled out time. Being something of a Netflix connoisseur myself, I have selected my favourite shows for you to binge watch. But I must provide a warning: these programmes are seriously addictive.

1. Stranger Things

If you haven’t heard of Stranger Things you must have been living under a rock. Directed by the famous Duffer brothers, this series is set in small-town America in the 1980s and brings old-school science fiction into the 21st century in a captivating way. It stars the amazing Winona Ryder, who plays Joyce Byers, a woman on a mission to find her missing 12 year old son. The investigation soon takes a dark turn and it becomes clear that this is not a simple missing person’s case… venture into the Upside Down world of Stranger things – you won’t regret it

Seasons available: 1

How addictive: 8/10

Perfect to watch: with your flatmates on a big screen, with the lights turned off.

(Image: mirror.co.uk)

2. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This hilarious series, co-written by Tina Fey, is my favourite American comedy show (in joint first place with Friends). The show begins with Kimmy and 4 other “Indiana Mole Women” being rescued from an underground bunker where they were held in captivity for 15 years, cut off from the rest of the world and told by a crazy reverend that there had been an apocalypse. Kimmy then moves to New York and the witty, sharp and ridiculous show follows her reintegration into normal society. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is genuinely a laugh-a-minute kind of show.

Seasons available: 2

How addictive: 9/10

Perfect to watch: when you need a pick me up.

(Image: Her Campus)

3. Power

My flatmates and I have been obsessed with Power recently, scheduling nights each week where we watch multiple episodes. The dark and gripping drama tells the story of James St. Patrick, a nightclub owner with a dark secret – he runs the biggest drugs operation in New York City and goes by the street name Ghost. Not only does he struggle to balance his money laundering nightclub work (ironically named Truth) with his illegal operations, but a dramatic love affair with an FBI officer endangers everyone. Raunchy, violent and tense, this show isn’t for the faint hearted! (P.S. 50 Cent is in it and he can’t act)

Seasons available: 3

How addictive: 8/10

Perfect to watch: if you’re a thrill seeker.

(Image: Wallpapersdsc)

4. Daredevil

If you’re familiar with the Marvel universe, you may have heard of Daredevil. Matt Murdock is a blind attorney by day, vigilante by night. His lack of sight means that he has heightened super-senses and the ability to fight crime on the streets of Hell’s Kitchen. Whether you’re really into the superhero genre or not, Daredevil is a great series to watch, with exciting plotlines, likeable characters and of course, lots of action.

Seasons available: 2

How addictive: 7/10

Perfect to watch: if you liked Deadpool and Suicide Squad.

(Image: Netflix)

5. Jane the Virgin

The title says it all really: Jane the Virgin is about a girl called Jane who, surprise surprise, is a virgin. If you can get over the fact that the show annoyingly obsesses over the artificial construct of virginity, this programme is actually very entertaining and self-deprecatingly humorous. Jane is a young woman living in Miami, with a good job, a good boyfriend and overall, a good life. Until she is accidentally artificially inseminated with a strange man’s (Rafael’s) sperm and becomes pregnant! I know, I know, it sounds ridiculous, but that’s part of what makes the show great; it simultaneously draws on and mocks the hyperbolic telenovela style of filming (the cast is almost all Latino). It’s funny yet dramatic and stylishly shot. Give it a watch and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Seasons available: 2 (although there is a third season not yet on Netflix)

How addictive: 8/10

Perfect to watch: if you want some low-brow entertainment.

(Image: Patheos)

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine